PDA

View Full Version : Low fuel warning light

Nova_Tek
17-06-08, 10:06 PM
I just swapped my MK1 fuel gauge (yellow needle jobbie) as I recently removed the pin and messed up its positioning :tard:

I changed it for a MK2 fuel gauge (white needle jobbie) with a low fuel warning LED built in to the unit.

Now although I have fuel in the tank my sender is faulty. It will only show when I got 1/4 tank, other times it will show nothing due to bad contacts on the sender circuitry. I have a brand new fuel sender ready to go in.

Will the low fuel warning light work with my MK1 sender? When I switch the ignition on from cold and the gauge is at empty will it flash up the light then go out as the needle climbs or will it stay off until there really is no fuel left?

Am I right in thinking that, although my sender doesnt show anything when on half tank, because there is fuel in the tank then thats why the light dont come on?

Or is the light just not working.

Sorry if I've made a meal of a thread from a simple question :tard: lol

:thumb:

Nova_Tek
19-06-08, 12:47 PM
So no one has a fuel guage with a low level warning?

Welsh Dan
19-06-08, 01:23 PM
I have a mk1 with a fuel level warning light that doesnt work.

craig green
19-06-08, 02:15 PM
My mk2 has the light. It didnt show with 2 cans chucked in but since the MOT & a few blats on my private testing facility, the light is now on...

Adam
19-06-08, 04:43 PM
Mine has the light.
And TBH its pointless.

It comes on when you have about 1-2L of fuel left.... Bare minimum to keep the engine running tbh.

When i fitted a new tank and put 4L of fuel in out of a can, the light went off,Lol.

Nova_Tek
19-06-08, 09:18 PM
Ok so the trick is to have a quick blast. Will try that :D

1-2 litre warning is a bit naff if thats the case but I suppose its better then nothing.

At the moment My guage show 0 coz my sender is faulty (15 litres in the tank) but Im assuming that when I fit the new sender then it will be obvious whether it works properly.

:thumb:

mikey14sr
19-06-08, 10:33 PM
The light is switched on when the resistance in the sender unit is at a certain point, mine never used to come on untill the tank was dry!

Nova_Tek
20-06-08, 01:32 AM
The light is switched on when the resistance in the sender unit is at a certain point, mine never used to come on untill the tank was dry!

:wtf:

Hopefully seeing as I have bought a brand new one its been revised so its a bit more helpful :)

Jack
20-06-08, 11:48 AM
Not a wise idea to run the tank that low as you may end up sucking some gunk into the fuel filter(s).

Adam
20-06-08, 04:11 PM
Not a wise idea to run the tank that low as you may end up sucking some gunk into the fuel filter(s).
Plus with so little fuel i wouldn't want to take a corner too swiftly.