PDA

View Full Version : Abit of advice/knowlegde needed..

Martin
17-06-08, 09:03 PM
Right ive just compeleted my 14week trail with and agency, av have been sucsefull in gettig the job, but atm i'm worse of for money as i'm paying emergency tax, handed my P45 in and all that, been 2 weeks now, how long does this usaly take to process? and do i get the extra ive paid back? surly its not my fault that i'm paying emergency tax?

Thanks In Advance:thumb:

Lee
17-06-08, 09:05 PM
It takes ages, but you will get a rebate eventually. The Mrs just got hers and shes been where she works for over 6 months now lol

Try to live on what you have for now and the bigger the rebate will get. Its like a small savings account lol

Martin
17-06-08, 09:12 PM
okies cool, just wanted to make sure i got it back and it wasnt my fault...

neve rhad this prob with other jobs

ta Lee..

maybe it will go on enough for me to buy a xe n fit it lol(or maybe not)

Ste L
17-06-08, 09:14 PM
only just had my tax code sorted, worked here since december last year :roll:

and only got a bloody rebate from july, when the new tax year started, so need to get on the phone to the tax people to sort the rest out i guess :mad:

Jack
17-06-08, 09:22 PM
and only got a bloody rebate from july, when the new tax year started
Fiscal year begins April 6th :p

You may have to wait until the end of the year for a rebate, depending on how your wages worked. I recall at Boots, I was on a nil hour contract (which had its advantages) if I overpaid any tax, I didn't get it back til the following April.

How come you're on emergency tax anyway? What code did you have when you were on the 14 week trial?

Ring the local tax office, or go round and see them. They should be able to sort it in person.

Martin
17-06-08, 09:27 PM
How come you're on emergency tax anyway? What code did you have when you were on the 14 week trial?

Ring the local tax office, or go round and see them. They should be able to sort it in person.

Erm i duno lol how cani tell? on my wage slips?

Jack
17-06-08, 09:29 PM
Emergency tax code is "BR" - you'll get taxed 20% on every penny.

Assuming this is the only job you've had since the start of the trial period, the company should have applied your proper tax code (will be something like 534L, or whatever it is at the mo) to your wages.

Your wage slip should have your tax code written on it.

Martin
17-06-08, 09:36 PM
my tax code when i was getting paid Via agency was 522L, and now its "BR"

yes jack this is the only job av had since i started for the angency..

Martin

Jack
17-06-08, 09:42 PM
Ahh, so you were employed via an agency for the 14 weeks, then were taken on by the company permanently? That would explain the BR code, the tax office haven't swapped your 522L code onto your current employment yet - as said, give the local office a ring or a visit to make sure things are in hand.

Ste L
17-06-08, 09:42 PM

You may have to wait until the end of the year for a rebate, depending on how your wages worked. I recall at Boots, I was on a nil hour contract (which had its advantages) if I overpaid any tax, I didn't get it back til the following April.

OK, april - dont even know why i said july, as we not even in that month yet :tard: lol

Stuart
17-06-08, 09:43 PM
Any half decent firm should sort you out within one month

Martin
17-06-08, 09:46 PM
ok so should i leave it for antoehr 2weeks see if it sorts its self out?

i can live of the money i get now but the little bit extra could get the nova done in plenty of time 4 billing..

mowgli
17-06-08, 11:03 PM

Companies can opt for their year end to finish when they want. This was invented so the tax people could work the year round, & not just in the last week of march when panic sets in.....

Mr.B
18-06-08, 11:07 AM
i didnt hand my p45 to my new boss till 6months after i started and the code changed the following week and i get the money back two weeks later.

Dod
18-06-08, 11:18 AM
As mentioned, it should be very very quick and tbh tax offices talk to you like you're stupid. Have a word with the perosnel department in your firm and have them do something about it. Dont worry though, you'll get it all back when its sorted though.

draper
18-06-08, 01:06 PM
ive never been emergency taxed ?? the tax man must be scared of me

Martin
18-06-08, 03:18 PM
Well all sorted now.. annette(the sexy secertary) sorted it for me, and i got a tenna back in tax lol

craig green
18-06-08, 03:22 PM
and i got a tenna back in tax lol

Deposit on that XE conversion you always wanted! lol

Martin
18-06-08, 03:24 PM
Deposit on that XE conversion you always wanted! lol

aye thats the one lol...

Cheers for the help peeps:thumb:

Jack
18-06-08, 04:02 PM
annette(the sexy secertary)
Pics :D

Adam
18-06-08, 04:07 PM
Assuming this is the only job you've had since the start of the trial period, the company should have applied your proper tax code (will be something like 534L, or whatever it is at the mo) to your wages.
Is that the normal/basic tax code?

I think thats the code im on, but it has "/1" after it.

Tax takes the pi** anyway for me, loosing £150 ish per month to tax lol
A few people i work with dont even get taxed at all :confused:

Jack
18-06-08, 04:17 PM
It means your tax is not calculated cumulatively, i.e. it doesn't take into consideration your previous earnings when calculating your tax payment for that month/week/pay period. Did you give your current employer a P45 from your old employer?

Current income tax allowance (for people <65, not including other benefits) is 5435, so a "normal" tax code should be 543L

I think I lose about £500 a month in deductions :(

draper
18-06-08, 04:20 PM
ive actually got better off in the last few years tax wise, i used to get stopped about 70quid a week but now its only 60 on the same amount of money

Jack
18-06-08, 04:23 PM
Thats because labour ditched the 10% tax rate, which gave a lot of decent-ish earners a tax break. Whilst the low income families got busted lol

Skittle
18-06-08, 04:30 PM
AS the new tax year started in April, when you get your correct tax code allocated, the tax office should automatically refund all emergency tax paid since April (the difference between your normal tax payment and the extra) pretty much immediately - say your next months pay. Anything paid out before April you may not get until the end of the year.

You could fill out a tax self assessment form - but bit complicated unless your an accounting god!

Skits

Adam
18-06-08, 04:35 PM
Aye, they've got my p45

draper
18-06-08, 04:37 PM
You could fill out a tax self assessment form - but bit complicated unless your an accounting god!

Skits

i tried doing latest one after my account made it sound easy last year when he explained it all to me

im going back to him in the next few weeks lol