PDA

View Full Version : 40 mm lowering question

Anonymous
27-07-00, 11:10 PM
i have lowerd my car 40mm afew weeks ago and i have been told that i need some shorter shockers for the rear is this true he said that the rear springs would fall out if one wheel went down a pothole please help me thankx grant

Anonymous
28-07-00, 06:34 PM
i doubt it mate

jack the rear ov ur car up on both sides (but not on the axle) try getting 2 scissor jacks and jacking on the factory jacking points.

jack ur car up till the wheels come off the ground and they will drop no more.

now try and pull ur springs out by hand. if u cant pull them out they wont fall out

simple

ps. make sure u dont pull the car ontop ov urself cause them jacks are crap :)

novaboyroy69
21-04-03, 10:20 PM
no way man mines lowered 60mm without shorter shocks ur car is safe

scott5
21-04-03, 10:30 PM
mines lowered 60mm with standard shocks, the springs do drop out when its jacked up fully but its nothing to worry about. its bin like that for 4 years and it never fails the mot for it so it cant be that dangerous!

mikeoxford
21-04-03, 10:58 PM
:lol: who keeps bringing these three year old topics up!?

Jules
22-04-03, 01:51 AM
In real life they won't fall out, but my old 1.6T40 SR (which was lowered 60mm at rear and 90mm at front) failed an MoT due to the rear springs being lose when rear axle was on full droop, simple soloution is to get some cheap standard springs for your MoT (Yeah it looks ghey when driving it to the test centre!!) or you could invest in some shorter shocks.
I opted for the 'standard spring' option.

snapper
22-04-03, 08:00 AM
anything over a 40mm drop is out of factory spec and for your own sake invest in some shocks with shorter pistons. unless you've got gsi shocks or better, i can almost guarantee a bouncy ride and shocks becoming shagged after a year or so.

Nova-Boy
22-04-03, 08:33 AM
Jesus that is an old post! :o I bet his shocks have fallen apart since!