Page 81 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaceframed SR20DET RWD Nova

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its going to be a track weapon but no reason wy it can't all be laid out tidy. I'm a firm believer that if something is neat and tidy its easier to work on.

Definately not back into my show ways! Didn't touch a polishing cloth all weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So to update this then.

Not much has actually happened on the nova. It was put back in the shed after Billing and tucked away. The carbs have come back off and are with Larndersport to have the spacers made. The rest of the time has been spent looking & acquiring parts.

The porsche was stripped last weekend tho and this is what I'm working with...

The short bell housing. Its only 150mm deep.

This then goes onto the torque tube.

At the end of the torque tube as you can see in the above pics is another bellhousing that mates up the box. (The black tube is what the gear linkage rod passes through).

Here is an XE clutch on the end of the torque tube - that was a nice bit of luck :D

Need to sort the bellhousing to work with the XE now. Its a fair bit out but I have a few ideas on the subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.titan.uk.net/products/8.37/gm/bellhousings

get on the dog a bone and find out, i can always pick it up for you if they can sort you out x

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SBD prices look cheaper than titan. They do a 150mm vertical version. I just need to mod the end to fit the torque tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This weekend work had to be turned away from the nova and onto my daily the vectra. I was in need of 4 new tyres (205/55 16s) but didn't really want to part with £200+ without upgrading something!

Seeing as the nova isn't going anywhere I decided to fit the turbo rims off that as they had really good tyres albeit they are 195/45 16s meaning the speedo would be 8% out at 60mph. So on they went anyway...

The car did sit a little lower but the arch gap was greater. It drove SOOOOO much better tho!! It turns in so much sharper and the firmer ride is a lot more positive. However, I had just saved myself around £200 not buying the tyres so bought a set of coilovers instead

I'm really happy with how it sits now and drives really nice. Just need to get the tracking done in the morning. I may drop the front a little more slightly to give a little nose dive as I do carry a lot in the boot so should level it out a little. I may also fit some 10mm spacers to push them out a little.

Ref: the nova I'm just gather lots of different parts at the mo and trying a few different ideas before I commit to chopping out anymore of the floor! Update maybe at the end of bank holiday week, we'll see.
    Last edited by The Simps; 24-08-09 at 01:09 AM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

top work,and the veccy looks cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after this mighty steak saturday nite....

...I was ready for some car action today!

Starting out by working on a friends engine out of her mk3 astra GSi turbo. Just after a full rebuild she melted piston no.1. My diagnosis was that she was running evo5 chips but hadn't upped the fuel pressure. The head came off first and got that checked and bar a light skim amazingly survived. All valves are now lapped in. Onto the bottom end and I'm fairly confident the block is scrap!

Fortunately I've got a spare block she can have off me and a spare piston. Need to get the crank checked for her next as its slightly scored.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So onto the nova.

The f28 came out and the engine swung round...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you can see its tight up against the rack at the moment but room to move another 10-15mm back which will give enough room at the front. There's also plenty of room side to side.

In this position I could check the clearance on my current custom manifold setup and all looks good!

From underneath the sump will be above the line of chassis, just, in this position. I will be using an SBD westfield sump with a 100mm height which will be similar to the bottom right of the sump in the picture. I plan on running a sump guard plate aswell on this car just to be cautious.

I then laid out the gearbox and torque tube to see where they come to with the driveshafts level with the wheel centres. With the help of a couple of pieces of would theres' approximately 280mm gap. The bellhousing I'll be using is 150mm. Hmmm.

The options I've currently thought of are to:-

- Move the engine further back into the bulkhead which will have better handling characteristics with the weight further back but I was hoping to keep the engine within the current bay and infront of the smoothed bulkhead.

- The torque tube and box are joined with a coupling which I could extend by 130mm and make a sandwich plate.

I'm leaning towards the latter as it will also mean less tunnell chopping!

The bonnet will also need some form of bulge towards the front for clearance.

That was it for the nova today as a new project rolled into the shop...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy 1949 sidestep with small block 5.7 v8. Mustang front suspension setup and 9" shortened rear end. Boxed chassis and smoothed cab. Its very much a big lego set! Most parts were included. Just needs brakes, lines, wiring and the finishing touches. Sadly its not mine but Shaun Larnder's new project after selling his Skyline & Nova. I'll put a seperate project thread up at a later date.