Thread: Wheel spin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wheel spin

Hi guys!

Wonder if anyone's got any SIMPLE ideas on how to stop the front wheels spinning when pulling away! it seems to spin almost everytime i pull away at more than a crawl ! Would fatter (wider) wheels help.... don't want to lower it as that will bump my insurance up and also have a pregnant misses who finds it hard enough getting in and out of the SR as it is.. oh yeah.... my mota's a 1.3 SR with no mods.. so it's not like it's a supercar or anything! Any ideas would be greatly appeciated....

One other thing... has anyone ever changed the Steering Column Gator themselves ( the thing that holds the oil round the steering column)??? how hard is it and is there any good guides apart from the one in Haynes

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're on about the steering rack????? :?

milton keynes!!CARLTON CRAZY !!!!!DONT MESS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless ya got some werid gear box ratios,
    think ya just need to clam down a bit,my lass used to do that in her sr,
    or ya culd just pull away in 2nd,not as fast but wont spin

Doc

New tyres on both front sides. Even better, new wider tyres on both front sides, that will sort your problem out. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RE: Wider tyres

Thanx Doc!

I thought that wider wheels might help, obviously the more grip the less chance of spinning! Do i need to buy new wheels or can you just put wider tyres on the standard rims? Any idea where i can get CHEAP ones? and how much are they?....

Thanks

Rudi

milton keynes!!CARLTON CRAZY !!!!!DONT MESS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just take em off a cav or sumthing bit bigger but wider(im asuming ya still got steel wheels).
    and if there off a mk2 cav then ya can put ya 13" hubs back on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap tyres will give you poor grip, expecially re-maufactured tyres, so avoid this if you can. Also if your suspension has gone soft you will get poor grip on the road.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you must be revving the tits off it then if your always getting wheel slip.

as was said before CALM DOWN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RE: Wheel Spin

I understand when i'm pulling away hard and dropping the clutch it's gonna wheel spin, and in the dry, that's the only time it does it... but in the wet it's a fuckin' nightmare! I was pulling away from a traffic light controlled roundabout yesterday, and had my misses in the car who's 8 and a half months pregnant, and it wheel span just pulling away norally .. rev's were at about 2000 = 2500 somewhere. In the wet i'm havig to drive like an old granny to stop it wheel spinning! I'll try getting some cav wheel with decent tyres on them, hopefully that will make a diiff....

How can you tell is your suspension has gone soft??

Thanks

Rudi

Doc

I think SR standard tyre size is 175/60/14. I dont know how much u know about wheels and tyres but i'll give u some basics. 175 refers to the tyres width in mm, so its 175mm wide. 60 refers to the tyres radius in mm, ie the distance from your metal rim to the outer edge of your tyre, and 14 refers to the width of your metal rim in inches i think, so 14 inch wide.
    Now i think you can fit a slightly wider tyre to your existing rim ie, go from 175/60/14 to 185/60/14. This will be the simplest option for you, just buy a pair of new tyres of half decent make eg michelin/goodyear etc and get them fitted by the tyre place. A pair of new tyres in that size go for around ?40-?50 round my way. If you want to stop wheel spin, dont buy remoulds, part worns or cheapo new tyres. It wont solve your problem and you will need to replace them more frequently. Hope this helps :wink: