Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thick White Smoke on Startup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Thick White Smoke on Startup

Since i bought my car i have had a thick white smoke on startup. It lasts for about 20 seocnds after i pull up and only happenes when i first start it. The car burns oil at about 1-2 litres a week, which is know is probably piston rings. The car does use antifreeze but very little.

My question is that i thought blue smoke is oil burning and white antifreeze but it seems to be the other way round in my car.??

Ps I have checked and the car is not leaking oil or antifreeze its just burning oil (Very Quickly). I have changed the oil, all filters and the parkies Any ideas?.

Also if the piston rings are gone then is it just a simple case of getting them replaced becuase i know a mechanic who will only charge me ?20 an hour for labour??.

Thanks

Laurie

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my brother has a Corsa Gsi motor and that smoked in the morning and he also used ****ing loads of oil and it ended being his bottomend and his piston rings .....

Dangermouse

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God i hope it aint piston rings. Its def white smoke and it smells bad. The smoke dies down after i pull away and then comes back when i get to a stop but not as think as when i first started it. Its burning a fair amount of oil. Ive heard oil burning can be alot of different things like oil seals, piston rings or even valves. Sureley about a litre of oil a week means more than just busted seals right??

Any help would be apreciated

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

piston rings. mine does it.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mines the same ive got a 1.6 16v in my nova and it use a fair amount of oil a week mine puffs blue and black i no that the blue is oil and i think the black is just the sut off the night before

u just wanna pull your engine out and put a bigger lump in thats what im gonna be doin next i got a C20SEh to go in next out of a calibra

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought it might be rings. My mechanic said it would be ?120 quid plus the cost of the rings. Is that a gud price???. Also is it likely to have caused any more damage??..

Any more help would be appreciated

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont think it does any damage tbh. it just looks bad from the smoke etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mite be worth getting done then. I spose its worth getting the head gasket changed as well right. Does ?120 plus parts sound like a gud price??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he can do it for ?120 i'd go for it, but see how much extra he'll charge for the valve stem oil seals while the engines in bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah hes a gud bloke. We take all our cars to him and weve known him for years. He doesnt rip ppl off. How much r valve stem oil seals then, there only seals they cant be that much right??