Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2103

Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All looking excellent. I’m especially jealous of the new gearbox.

Just wondering why why you want to use a standard-type tank? You may have explained already, in which case my apologies.
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House's ITB XE build and re-build

Quote Originally Posted by novarally View Post
    All looking excellent. I’m especially jealous of the new gearbox.

Just wondering why why you want to use a standard-type tank? You may have explained already, in which case my apologies.
    Gearbox has been on the list for a while mate!! Just needed the planets to align!!!

Both times I've put TB's on a nova it's been with what I now know to be a carb tank, terrible starvation problems below have a tank of fuel when going round roundabouts. So I ran an external swirl pot with lift pump and HP pump and filters and all that jazz.

Well I decided to get hold of an injection tank with the built in swirl pot but they're rarer than rocking horse shit, or atleast Iain couldn't find me one (he's shit), so bought the carb one from eBay and then this rusty one from a donor car we've got, cutty cutty weldy weldy!!

I also hate barb fittings with a passion, so want to use some AN fittings direct out of the tank which means a bit of chopping about too.

Edit to add as I just read your question properly Colin!!

Standard tank position is best for weight and COG, low down, outside the cabin, I’ve got a wheel well mounted tank in the current shell, it’s crap!! Annoying to fill, stinky if spilt.
    Last edited by House; 26-09-18 at 09:37 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    RS6, running 715bhp and 720ft/lb
    Nom nom nom....nom

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jealous of the new gearbox

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    jealous of the new gearbox
    You wouldn't be jealous of the cost!!! Fucking thing!!

In other news.

Got hold of this Irmscher front valence, fixes directly to the front of the car for use with a skinny front bumper

Got a rear one too, undecided on it

Fuel pump also arrived, got the connector soldered on, all these bits coming together now

Steering wheel too

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance you could PM me, or better still e-mail me directly please?

id like to chat gearboxes with you. Thanks
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evening all.

Few cool things today, well I think they’re cool, you lot might not give a flying fuck!!

Firstly to whet your appetites!!

Ben is planning a few days work on the shell so hopefully will be some more updates.
    Last edited by House; 03-10-18 at 09:59 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onto fuel system, this has been the bane of my existence over the last few months, trying to source an SPI tank and then if I could find one how to fit an uprated pump in the tank.

In the end we decided the best way was to sort it ourselves, popped to The Phirm today to borrow Tim’s knowledge.

Few pics to do the talking, mark out and cut the tank open

Exposes the attempt at an in tank swirl pot, but it’s totally inadequate

This is no good, it wont retain the fuel in the swirl pot, no matter what happens the fuel level in the swirl pot would never get above the level of the surrounding tank, the fuel would just drain out of the holes arrowed and thanks to the laws of physics the level in the swirl pot would equalise with the level outside it.

Had to use an aftermarket fuel sender as I searched high and low for a brand new Nova sender but no luck, this one came from CBS and the float is secured correctly as per the instructions

Made this little doubler plate up with the AN-8 weld on fittings

Mocked up some tubing using the original gauze filter on the end of the pump feed

Tim’s not bad with the TIG!!!

Fully glued in place

Made some little tabs to hold the swirl pot into place, was really tough welding these in, had to be so careful not to melt the plastic pot

Tested it with the hose pipe on the return line only, you can see the jet pump effect as the return line feeds the swirl pot, with the hose on very very slowly, to simulate a return feed from the the fuel rail, it keeps the pot full to the brim and over flows to the rest of the tank, the jet pump effect also draws fuel into the pot from the tank via the clever little gauze filter thing.

Once the hose is off the the fuel level slowly drains back to match the tank level, as soon as the hose is back on it fills the pot again. So whenever the engine is running the swirl pot will be kept full by the returning fuel from the rail. It will be possible to run the tank down to almost empty now without any chance of starvation.

Oh and a cheeky shot of the fuel pump and inline filter, these will be mounted to a plate next to the tank, more work for Ben.

All I have to do now is connect up my Dash2, fill the tank with 5 litres, measure the voltage on the fuel level sender, then see how much it take to fill the tank, divide that amount by 100, then fill the tank in 10% increments and measure the sender voltage, tell the Dash2 the measurements we've taken, it will create an equation and we'll have an accurate fuel level. Set the dash alarm to trigger at 15% and it will tell me when fuel level is low.
    Last edited by House; 04-10-18 at 07:01 AM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    Evening all.

Few cool things today, well I think they’re cool, you lot might not give a flying fuck!!

Firstly to whet your appetites!!

Ben is planning a few days work on the shell so hopefully will be some more updates.
    Get the hole saw back out, you can get a few more holes in that. Looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fuel tank mods are genius, great way to make a standard one fit for your purpose.