Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nova brakes

Newbie Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Well, Mr novasport, that's exactly the information I was after - excellent !

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this brake talk can confuse me too . Confused.com . Am I right in saying most calipers don't come with carriers?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnAzzopardi View Post
    That's a lot to remember mate, sometimes I don't even remember my name, mother of God. But thank you very much this was very helpful. I think I'll stick to the 236mm x 20 vented ones, since they (might) fit under my 13" steelies, as they did come off of a Corsa B 1.2 (I believe it was a 1.2, could have been a 1L) and they may be an easier swap, over the 256mm. I'd go 256mm, but I'd have to get a bigger rim as well as lower profile (and I like a lot of meat on tires, so they're more comfortable)

Call me stupid, but that's the way I roll. If my car had a 1.2 or something, it'd be a different story, but seeing as it has an all cast iron engine that weighs have a ton, I'd rather the ride be a bit softer and more comfortable.

I'll look up to see if I can find any ATE calipers.

Would this link provide any?

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.as...gsi&fffBHP=100

They're a bit pricey, me thinks, but I think they'd fit. And it does say "Manufacturer restriction: Ate"
    I get 247mm discs under 13" steelies on my ax so you should be fine with 236's

Senior User Club Member Novasport's Avatar
    Derby, Derbyshire. Drives: Nova Sport, BMW M3, Nova Swing, Peugeot 208
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnAzzopardi View Post
    That's a lot to remember mate, sometimes I don't even remember my name, mother of God. But thank you very much this was very helpful. I think I'll stick to the 236mm x 20 vented ones, since they (might) fit under my 13" steelies, as they did come off of a Corsa B 1.2 (I believe it was a 1.2, could have been a 1L) and they may be an easier swap, over the 256mm. I'd go 256mm, but I'd have to get a bigger rim as well as lower profile (and I like a lot of meat on tires, so they're more comfortable)

Call me stupid, but that's the way I roll. If my car had a 1.2 or something, it'd be a different story, but seeing as it has an all cast iron engine that weighs have a ton, I'd rather the ride be a bit softer and more comfortable.

I'll look up to see if I can find any ATE calipers.

Would this link provide any?

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.as...gsi&fffBHP=100

They're a bit pricey, me thinks, but I think they'd fit. And it does say "Manufacturer restriction: Ate"
    Unfortunately the ATE type caliper very rarely comes with the caliper carrier. They only usually come with a brand new caliper from Vauxhall/Opel. Refurbished units are usually just the caliper only.
    They can be bought on Ebay, I have purchased a couple of sets off there for little money.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Novasport View Post
    Unfortunately the ATE type caliper very rarely comes with the caliper carrier. They only usually come with a brand new caliper from Vauxhall/Opel. Refurbished units are usually just the caliper only.
    They can be bought on Ebay, I have purchased a couple of sets off there for little money.
    I'll look some up when I'm in the money, but thanks all for all your help lads.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EwanG View Post
    Have you checked the fluid level as you might have a leak? Could be a rear cylinder.
    I was wrong and you were right. Checked the brake fluid level and saw that it was less than usual. Started her up, pumped the brake pedal a bit, and it went straight to the floor. Checked, and saw that the rear right drum is leaking. I'll take it to a mechanic at the end of the month and see how that goes.

Edit: Just watched a video on YT as I've never seen or changed a cylinder before, and it looks pretty straight forward. 2 10mm bolts holding the cylinder in, and I need a 10mm (claw wrench? What are those things called again?) for the brake line, then just release one of the tension springs so I can yank the old one out, put the new one on, redo up everything again, and bleed the system, right?
    Last edited by ShawnAzzopardi; 19-07-15 at 06:16 PM.