Page 156 of 229 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 2290

Thread: Spaceframed SR20DET RWD Nova

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel free to throw up a design of how you would of made the turrets. All help is welcomed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks spot on, I admire the amount of work going into this

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do wish Broad would learn how to talk to people without the imperious streak, anyway...

i think your design will be fine strength wise, especially with that extra bit of tube in place, but if you;re asking, i think if it were me i’d have made the front legs loop round from the cage upright, wrap round the turret then drop down and round to the front main box section bit, then added a triangulation from the main dash bar, similar to this, although this is obviously so flash even Broad couldn’t find much fault...
    Last edited by lee303; 12-01-14 at 05:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lee303 View Post
    i do wish Broad would learn how to talk to people without the imperious streak, anyway...

i think your design will be fine strength wise, especially with that extra bit of tube in place, but if you;re asking, i think if it were me i’d have made the front legs loop round from the cage upright, wrap round the turret then drop down and round to the front main box section bit, then added a triangulation from the main dash bar, similar to this, although this is obviously so flash even Broad couldn’t find much fault...

Lee - that project above was exactly what made me stand back and reconsider how I'd designed mine. I too wanted it to wrap around the outside and tie into the a pillar but there just isn't the room to do so, because of where the turrets need to be from the 200sx track. I didn't want to bring in the turrets any further inbound because I'm already going to have a lot of neg camber to dial back out.

Excuse the crudeness of the drawings but this is my current plan....

I had planned to tie the turret top into the middle of the dash bar, just don't know whether to take it off the front, middle or back part if you know what I mean. Will also depend on space. I will also add triangulation from where the a pillar tube meets the turret down to the bottom of the a pillar.

I plan on running a single sheet of steel down the outside of the bent tube with the front part then forming the wheel tub. This again will add more strength. Shaded or cross hatched is sheet metal. This current design makes doing that very easy.

That is obviously my current game plan but you know how it is, as things evolve they can change!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it may well just be the pics, but to me it looks like there is room, but you would need to bend the tube to a profile that comes outwards off the A pillar cage leg, wrapping tightly round the turret then round and down to the main rails you have fitted, this then stops the turret being a ‘wing’ added onto the side of the structure so would be a lot stronger in the vertical plane, which as you know is where the load is at, this shouldn’t be any wider than your current setup, and if you then put the brace from the middle of the dash bar to the bar the loops round the turret, somewhere in front of it, it will tie the whole structure together really neatly
    i admit it wouldn’t be an easy thing to get the bends right, but i think the end result would be better, stronger and lighter! you will also end up with more room in the bay

i may well not be explaining this too well, if i get time later i’ll sketch something and put up a pic

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised your not gonna run adjustable top mounts?
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Surprised your not gonna run adjustable top mounts?

nothing to stop him fitting adjustable pillow ball style mounts? i imagine the fixed ones are the mock up and welding splatter

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so the drawing is a little avant-garde if we’re being kind, but i think you get the idea

the dark shaded tubes are your existing uprights, the tube crossed out on the right was a **** up, , and obviously theres no perspective in my child like drawing, but the tube above the crossed out one comes from the foot of your uprights/bottom rail up to the joint on the tube with the dash bar to turret tubes, and obviously the tubes wrapping round the turret that go down to the front of the rails need to bend inwards and down, rather than being straight lines as i have drawn them,
    The small heavier lined struts are possibly not needed but they are meant to be coming off the bottom rail up to the join between the dash/turret tube and the shorter turret to A pillar tube
    Last edited by lee303; 13-01-14 at 07:51 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Lee know's what he's on about; dial out the extra tube in a square design and just make triangles. Will be stiff as & weigh less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, your drawing is basically like the project youte above, which is how I did want to do it, but like you said its a complicated bend! It would almost need to be an s bend in order to get around without affecting the door jam too. If you look at these pics where the piece I have put it is pretty tight against the shell...

I also originally looked at taking the a pillar tube and have it go straight onto the strut top at an angle then have it coming back off the other side bending towards the box rail, but it was so hard to get the a pillar tube right and looking right! Bearing in mind that the front section will be tubbed its going to add a lot of strength, but I understand that ideally it should have something tieing it back in. Also, having the tube come around around sweeping down is going to make tub making more tricky! The car is going to be tight for wheel clearance as it is so that tube bend would need to be so spot on for wheel & bonnet clearance, I guess I just sort a compromise in the end.

I think i'm going to get the engine back in this weekend and take a good look at it again but my feelings are still to continue the route I am and maybe see what room there is to add a tube running off the turret, under the wing and onto the rail, without interfering with wheel clearance.