Thread: Toms Nova Rally Car Build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top man Paul.

So you retain the original fusebox. Any ideas about mounting location? I guess it will all become clear once ive got it in front of me. I was an electrician for quite a few years and i studied mechatronics at uni so i should be able to suss it out. The cables that feed the corsa epas look pretty beefy though, apparently it wants a 50A fuse!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always try to retain the standard loom / fusebox / connectors for all the standard stuff Im keeping - lights, wipers, heater etc. I also usually try to keep the fusebox in its standard location if possible - again, simplicity.

I then run additional circuits (with relays and fuses as appropriate) for each of the rally specific items added. Much easier to trace and you can label them as you go.

For the EPAS, I would run a secondary connection from the "output" / non battery side of the cutoff to a 50 amp fuse to a 50amp relay input and wire the output to the column and have a separate switch operate the relay and turn the EPAS on or off. In fact, thats the way I run virtually everything else - spots, fuel pumps, etc

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone advise:

Ive been offered a paddle clutch from a nova 1400 8v rally car. Will this fit my application? im using an F13 box and an x16xe engine... is there anything i need to find out first

Just need to confirm before i part with the hard-earned...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it will fit but it's 190mm. the one of them engines are 200mm

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What box are you using specifically?

The F10/F13/F15 use a different input spline to the F16/F18/F20 boxes and both are different to a Quaife kit . So is is a std F13 box you are using?

The 1300s used a 190mm clutch, the 1400s / 1600s used a 200mm clutch.

According to Helix

Std F13 = 19 x 14T input,
    Quaife is 22.5 x 20T (My F20 kit is certainly this - not sure about F13 kit as depends on dog or sccr I think)
    Std F16 is 20.4 x 24T

So measure the input shaft splines on your intended box and the number of splines on the paddle clutch. 190mm will be fine but 200mm is a little better.

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good info there.

Paul did u mention that u had an F10 SCCR cluster squirelled away somewhere? ;-)

So this turned up today:

which means its time try and make sense of this:

wish me luck :P

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the wife has been away visiting friends all weekend so ive been mostly on childcare duties. I didnt touch the wiring but i did respray the tailgate, rear bumper and both front wings aswell as re-doing the roof as it was horrendous. The company that are doing the decals gave me some sizes to double check before they print them off so i did that aswell. Pretty sure its gonna look awesome, ive tweaked the design a bit so it also resembles the Bernard Munster nova.

Biggest update i guess is that i tried to fit the polycarb window to the tailgate and i couldnt do it. I mean i literally spent about two hours on it and the c*** just wouldnt go in. I think i may need to take a grinder to one edge and reduce the size slightly.

In other news: ive got a paddle clutch and cover (that wont fit ). Also got a new terratrip intercom on the way. Got hold of an EPAS controller and during the week i will order the bits so i can make a start on the wiring. Next weekend im doing some overtime so probably wont get much done but thats life.

Thats it for now.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to, when doing any additional wiring (assuming you are going to use a standard loom as a start point and add extras to it) try and stick to the vauxhall wiring colours, i.e brown for earths, white (i think) for your switch wires for spotlight relays etc etc. makes life alot easier not just for you but for anyone who works on it later. even you yourself will forget what the random colours you used are, and when youre upside down in a footwell trying to trace/cut/join wires you'll be thankful! i used vehicle wiring products for all my wiring stuff, they have alot of tack on thier site but plenty good stuff too!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Kenny, ill have a look at the site

PNG OS Survivor Club Member scott.parker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom, as for the plexi window, i know it shouldn't really need alterations, but if it does then check out this page from my old track car build, in here i cut aand fitted my own plexiglass window, hope it helps.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthr...-Orange/page59

Scott