Thread: Nova 1.2L didtributor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nova 1.2L didtributor

I have a 1.2L, 1983 Nova. It has the black distributor cap not orangy one. Im not at home for a couple of weeks but am trolling ebay for an electronic ignition conversion. Can any body tell me my distributor make and model? Source of an ignition kit??

Cheers All

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive got one here that's probably like yours. it has 'delco remi' , '1103549 4F06' , 'GEF848 B1' and '2G' stamps across it

unless your car is an old overhead valve engine with an internal timing chain, it'll prob be the same breakerless ignition distributor, which I think is kind of electronic ignition already ? there isn't points inside it. unless your talking about converting it to injection ?

whats wrong with what you've got. running issues ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the 1.2 nova had the delco electronic ignition as standard. the dizzys have 2 failure points, either the balance weights fly out chopping the cap in 2 (if it rettles loads, you know whats next), or the advance retard diaphragm fails, causing odd running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. This cars been in the family since new in 1983 and lots of us have used it. It went into the garage about 7-8 years ago for storage for my son. just started work on it again and after doing lots of jobs decided to fire her up before I left home for work in Russia. Battery charge and fresh petrol ( fuel pump and lines changed) was all it needed. Took her out for a drive and lost power when she warmed up, let her cool and fired up and drove again till warm. Put her back in garage and left for work. It felt like a faulty condenser, thats why I asked about distributor. Its 1.2 OHC carb model. I thought i remembered doing points on this car, must be confused. I'll check it out when I get home at the end of August,

Thanks again guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the early 1.2 novas with the delco remy distributor did have points as i think i had an early 85 1.2 with them,iirc they changed to electronic in 85/86,it was a long time ago though so my memory could be clouded,i'll check the ignition book for you when i go to work this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermotor list the nova 1.2,1.3 with the delco distributor as having a contact set/pickup coil from 83-86 part number 14013,then everything is electronic after 86.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my first one was B reg, and it was electronic.

and thinking about it, my A reg 1.2 had electronic too

as far as i've seen, all the black cap dizzys are electronic. my mum's y reg astra 1.3s was delco electronic too. really early ohc engines fitted in the kadett had a bosch contact breaker dizzy, i have one in a box in my shed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, mine is 83 A reg. Will wait till I get home and check before ordering anything.