Page 27 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Carbon 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We once had a grp A siera blasted and it was a pig to get rid of all of the blasting meadia that goes every where.

At least with dipping they completely wash the shell inside and out, after the acid then prime it on site for you, most places that I know of have done that for customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a look at this site matey, bit of a ride out for you but your more than welcome to have a pit stop at my house ;-)

http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/p...-vauxhall.html

Club Member Club Member bazzap8389's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link Chris, Ive been looking for local places and cant find anything at all so might have to be there would i have to cut the rotten arches etc off or would the dipping take care of that?

Club Member Club Member peester's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be much clearer after dipping where to cut from/to - but yes dipping would rid of rust just leave you with holes. I'd give the place(s) a call/visit their website im sure many FAQ's will be on there.
    "let me drive.. i won't make a fool out of you"

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just looked at there site and spoken to them asking for full price list. I will post ot here when they send it over.
    From what I read they
    Strip it and you take it away
    Make all your fabrication repairs (not filler work or seam sealer) and also add small holes if needed to help strip/paint at the second dip stage.
    Return the shell to them for
    Re dip and coat up
    They do the same anti corrosion treatment as new cars get with complete immersion so inside every area you would never get to in a million years with blast or paints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dipping would sort that out for you ;-)

The acid will eat away any rubbish thin metal and get it back to something good to start work on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the engine bay of my nova was shot/sand blasted, I found sand type stuff under the carpet behind the rear bench!
    ^^^ did you just read that? what a idiot ^^^

PROJECT 2 FAST 2 FAT clicky

''lifes what happens, while your busy making plans''

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not get it dipped at SPL

I have a shell that's been dipped by them and the work is NOT worth the money

Please don't waste your cash with them complete cowboys

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 16xe_chris View Post
    Have a look at this site matey, bit of a ride out for you but your more than welcome to have a pit stop at my house ;-)

http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/p...-vauxhall.html
    I've read some interesting comments on here about the workmanship of the people at Surface Processing. Words like "cowboys" spring to mind. You might want to have a word with Keith Robinson.

Is there anyone on here that has had their shell dipped and treated many years ago and can comment on the current state of their shell with regards to rust? This because all dipping companies make huge claims, but none of them are able to back up their claims by referring to customer's cars that had been done years ago. To me, this is dodgy practice.

My personal experience with blasting is on par with 16xe_chris' - I've once had a Nova shell done and that had tons of media left over in every bloody hole and orifice. Despite going all the way to clean out the shelll as thoroughly as possible, this got really "interesting" when the bodyshop started to paint the inside of the shell.

Dipping and blasting aside, other options in restoration techniques are dry ice blasting and thermal paint stripping. The latter is usually followed by mild blasting to clean up the surfaces. The only downside I see with dry ice blasting is you can't get inside box sections like chassis legs.

thermal paint strippers:
    http://www.beadshot.co.uk/index.htm

dry ice blasters:
    http://www.heritagedryiceblasting.co.uk/index.php

Useless additional information: a well respected German car mag tested a number of rust treatment/prevention liquids like Waxoyl and Tectyl. The winner was Mike Sander's Fett which won the test hands down. Just to let you know.

Hope this helps.
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea niek also ask surface processing for customers who would recommend because realty Is they should not need to come back if it's done well..... But they will come back if they are happy with more cars or recommend people. Mini forum prob the most likely to have the most cars dipped