Thread: *HOW TO* Wheel Refurb-By Simon P of Mig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default *HOW TO* Wheel Refurb-By Simon P of Mig

No pics, but its pretty self explanatory.

Tools required-
    Various Grades of Wet/Dry(200-1500)-?3
    Filler/Aluminium putty to repair deep scratches-?4-?10
    Primer(i used Hi Build)/Colour/Laquer(depending on colour used)-?3 per 300ML spray can
    Cutting(G3) compound to polish the final paint finish-?4

Difficulty-
    Rather straightforward, but very time consuming, especially on wheels with multiple spokes.

Quick guide here, by SimonP from mig, hope he doesn't mind me posting it here ,Lol.

Right ok.... This is the list for my wheels....Just a light repair and respray with aerosol paint.

* Remove tyres from rim, cut of old valve and remove any ‘stick-on’ or ‘tap-on’ wheel weights.

* Clean wheels thoroughly. I used Mr Muscle Oven cleaner because it’s cheap. Then wash with really hot soapy water, then water off. Before giving them a quick clean with a j-cloth and some clean water.

* Attack rim lips with 300grit, rub away any corrosions and feather out using a lighter grade paper.

* Finish off with 800 grit.

* Clean again with clear non soapy water and leave to dry.

* Spray wheel with 3 or 4 coats of primer. Leave sufficient drying time between coats and leave to dry.

* Get at the dry wheel with 1000 grit, best done wet. Feather it back to leave a smooth surface. Clean and re-apply primer if necessary. Then rub back with 800 grit.

*Once wheels are again clean, then you can apply first coat of base coat colour. Spray evenly as metallic particles weigh paint down, so if it spray it to heavily, it can give the appearance of looking darker in patches.

* Give around 3 or 4 good coats, making sure all angles are catered for.

* Leave to dry for about 30 minutes before going again with lacquer. Again, even strokes. Doesn’t matter if it’s fine spray and doesn’t give a shiny finish as you achieve finish when flatting back and cutting back.

* Give it plenty of light coats again with good drying intervals.

* Leave for about 4 or 5 hours in a warm environment before prepping for finishing.

* Get 1000 or even 1200grit (again, best done wet). Rub lightly and evenly over the new paintwork in a swirly motion. Don’t press too hard, but then again, don’t press too lightly.

* After doing the whole wheel, you’re now ready to cut it back using a cutting paste. I used G3 and applied in a similar action to the sanding. Be a bit more firm with the pressure and you can feel the paste working away to smooth off the lacquer even more.

* Wipe off with clean dry cloth. The paintwork although very flat and mat in appearance is now smooth and flatted back.

* You can now start with the polish. I just used Autoglym super resin polish. I polished each wheel twice. Both in quite an abrasive action. Buff up and it should leave the paintwork with a glassy finish.

* Leave the wheel for at least 24 hours (from final coat) before having the tyre refitted.

Total cost was around ?30. Plus tyre removal/refit which I did not do myself
    . LOL

EDIT-Added some pics of my own, from when i did mine
    Last edited by Adam; 14-02-08 at 06:27 PM.