Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 2290

Thread: Spaceframed SR20DET RWD Nova

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you do have any louvres in the floor, makes sure they’re a decent way back, as they tend to wreck the splitters aero and actually increase lift, better off trying to duct in through the front efficiently and out through the top and take advantage of the pressure difference you can create

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know Lee, cheers!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even where the engine is there it'll be excellent, of course any distance further in will amplify the gain.

Have you figured exactly where you'll have the seat, pedals, steering wheel will be in relation to the gear lever? What I mean is if the sky's the limit (which it may well be here), consider putting the seat as far back & lowdown as possible; providing you can get to the gear lever. Pedals & Wheel shouldn't be too difficult to cater for.
    Last edited by BRoadGhost; 26-01-14 at 12:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    Even where the engine is there it'll be excellent, of course any distance further in will amplify the gain.

Have you figured exactly where you'll have the seat, pedals, steering wheel will be in relation to the gear lever? What I mean is if the sky's the limit (which it may well be here), consider putting the seat as far back & lowdown as possible; providing you can get to the gear lever. Pedals & Wheel shouldn't be too difficult to cater for.

Seat will be going as far back as possible and around an inch off of the floor. Steering column will have some adjustability in length for different drivers. Pedals will be a floor mounted setup thats adjustable. The gear stick will hopefully be ok but if not I will have to do something like this...

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought about saying about a shifter thing like that, but as the pic with the seat in look ok i didnt.
    Last edited by Benn; 27-01-14 at 09:31 AM.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm hoping I won't need to but won't know for definite until I can get the rear end tagged in and lose the box rails, hence why thats the next job! Same story with the front end, need to wait until wheels are on and mounted before looking at it further.

I've got my A8 in for MOT in a week or so, so the plan is take the front wheels & tyres to get mounted at the same time. Can then get an idea of clearance etc then.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thinking.
    Have you started looking at rear frame?
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Just waiting on some bushes to arrive then i can start building the framework.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been a while since I updated so....

I took another look at the turret top set up and decided to slowly chop away at the a pillar to see what room I have to run a continuous bit of tube from the cage a pillar around the outside of the turret. It can work with only a slight kink needed as shown by the measure...

Next up I bolted on one of my wheels I had a tyre put on this week so I can get an idea of clearance for the inner tubs. The car has been designed so the bottom arms will run just under level. So with the wheel onl I jacked the wheel until it was at this point. The hubs I intend on running raise the spindle which has the effect of lowering the car 50mm without even touching the coilovers. So to replicate this I then tried to jack the wheel 50mm but only got to about 35-40mm before the std shocks bottomed out. But it gives me a rough idea...

As I moved the engine back 2" I still need to dial in some decent amount of castor so the wheel is going to go a fair bit further forward as yet, so that in mind I started to think about the inner tub design and my new outer tubing route. If you can imagine the bit of upright box is tube it will be something like so...

The upright tube I plan on being a one piece hoop that goes through the centre of the box rails, 90deg bend then straight across between the box then 90deg back up and through the other side. The bends and straight will be under the box, so an inverted hoop, and the tie/tension bar brackets will attach to this. The uprights either side that will come up through the box will meet up to the slam panel and be used to mount the rad, intercooler & oil coolers. As the force exerted on the lower cross member will be mostly forward motion under braking I intended on adding a diagonal from the upright down onto the tube coming from the bulkhead. Still with me?

So the new tube that will come around the outside of the turret top will bend down slightly and attach into the upright, probably at the same point the diagonal piece going to the bulkhead tube attaches. I will then run a piece of tubing (well actually 2!) to connect the new outer piece to triangulate into the bulkhead. Here's my half assed attempt at drawing it out...

Top drawing should hopefully be self explanatory and the bottom from a birds eye view shows the shaded areas where I will add sheet metal.

I would like to thank at this point all the people who gave constructive criticism on this area and got me to rethink the design. I gutted to loose the beauty of the full front wheel tubs but its function over form on this build. It needs to work!

So next was to take a look at getting a wing in place. So market out a preliminary cut along the existing swage line and set to it! *Remember the wheels has to come forward yet!*

I think I will end up cutting it back to where we pencil line is then adding a flair a similar shape to the e46 M3's design...

Its certainly going to take some creativeness to blend it all in nicely with the sills/skirts...

More progress at the weekend hopefully of which the plan is to get the rear end all lined up and square ready to be tagged into the cage. Oh and in other news, based upon the current gearbox and rear subframe position I will be able to run a completely flat floor from bulkhead back. The front subframe sits every so slightly below the floor line but only maybe an inch. Happy days! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you thought about golf arches? Possibly with G40 arch trims on? As they'd look similar to nova arches but bigger
    Good work by the way