Thread: electrical

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default electrical

i was driving along stopped outside my mates house pressed the butttons for my leccy windows and they took ages to close. then went i got back in the car i turned it over the oil pressure needle was going made and it was just clicking wouldnt start whch i asume is the starter.so i bump started it.is it the starter and how come the lectric windows seem to have fucked up as well there well slow.its a 92 k reg gsi by the way help me please ????????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RE: electrical

Sounds like its more likely to be the alternator, Go to your local spares shop and get a drop test done on your battery then you will know for certain! Else next time it happens get some jump leads on the car and see if the starter wants to turn. Alternatively start the car, get a voltmeter and set it to about 20 volts. The connect the voltmeter to the battery and rev the car, if the volts go up to about 14-16v when revved your alternator is good [hence must be starter], else its dead! Hope this makes sense!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RE: electrical

Yeh sounds like the battery`s flat as the windows and starter are both high drain devices.