Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowering advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lowering advice

I want to lower my nova, I dont know the best way to do it, or even how low to go

I presume the gsi / sr`s have different shocks to my mk1 1.2L ? So its not just a case of changing springs ?

I was looking to get some -30mm springs but I am thinking this will not really help ?? I guess I would be better off with standard gsi shocks & springs.

In this Pic you can see how high the ride is, please advice whats best for me to do, thanks.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buy a good spring and shock kit,
    best way... easy to fit,

40mm will look good and make it handle better,
    bilstine,koni,avo, theres lots of good makes,
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly. What will the car be used for and what do you hope to achieve with it mate?

Standard GSi stuff is about 10 to 15 mm lower than what you have already, but the shocks are just as soft. The only difference between driving the two is that the GSi has an anti roll bar and feels differently. You are best off buying an aftermarket suspension kit, not just springs. Uprated dampers working in conjunction with lowering springs will improve the handling. The ride will be harder than with GSi shocks and springs and you will notice every bump in the road! 40mm is a practical drop for everyday driving, the camber angle isn't too much either so your tyres won't get all worn on one side, it also looks pretty stealth. If you are after better handling without the penalty of a hard ride, a half way option is to get rid of those pram tyres and go for some 185 or 195 wide tyres on a set of 14s or 15s. If they are ET 49 offset, these wheels won't give you any rubbing, even with a 40mm drop.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holly crap thats been +60mm'd in it

its all down to own preferance really to how low u go, general rule is up to 40mm is ok with standard dampers (altho gsi 1s would be a good upgrade) if you go lower, 60mm etc, u will need uprated matched dampers too.

personally i wouldnt go and less than 60mm as for me low is best! i've now gone to the next level with coilovers dropin it down to 100mm

but the lower you go the more conciquences u face, wheels rubbing, tyres wearing, joints wearing, hittin speedbumps etc!

so its swings and roudabouts really but for me its deck it to the floor and take the conciquences!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh jst another point! dont go down the path of cutting springs!!

been there to get my bumpers licking the floor, but it was the worst handleing thing ive ever been in! bumpy and spongy at the same time! very dangerous!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you wanna do it on a budget go only -40mm for the best in looks, ridability and turning circle. go any lower and your gonna need a few extra pennies for a full kit, as the rest would recommend this route is prob the best, you should pm, H15 NVA, he's got a set on a nova he is strippin at the mo, and its a full kit

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it true you can compress springs? i agree with "rc" lower the better in my eyes, coilovers all the way!! goe for some spax coilvers 80mm or even fk's...will take your nova 100mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also bear in mind most suspension kits you'll buy will be for the GTe/GSi so a 40mm kit will actually lower yours around 55mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sri_boi
    is it true you can compress springs? i agree with "rc" lower the better in my eyes, coilovers all the way!! goe for some spax coilvers 80mm or even fk's...will take your nova 100mm
    Looks good, but 40-50mm is the most id go before it starts degredating the handling.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bottlethroddy
    Looks good, but 40-50mm is the most id go before it starts degredating the handling.
    i have to agree there, i lowered mine rite down on FK's 100mm drop and everytime i went into a corner hard the rear end would slip rite out, wen i raisd it up about half way (bout 50-60mm drop) it handled like it was on rails!!

still wound it rite back down 100mm and just slowed a bit for the corners! all cars should scrape the tarmac to look good