Thread: one for the LET boys

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow one for the LET boys

i'm looking to join the C20LET crew soon, and looking to getting as close to the 300bhp as i can, maybe more! was wondering on any info needed to get up to this sort figure? at what power do you have to start changeing things like internals? manifolds? turbo? headgaskets? software?
    looking to have a fast reliable engine, seen quite alot at the 280bhp mark, is there any reason why alot of people stop at this point? is this when manifolds etc have to be changed?
    if the opitunity comes up to buy a big power block already built what sort of things should i check for to make sure it won't go pop soon as the turbo winds up, such as uprated big end bolts, upradted headgaskets, etc?
    what sort of setups/software have people got and found fairly relible?

cheers for any help lads

Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280bhp is possible on phase2 eds software iirc.
    You need a FMIC, larger injectors, higher fuel pressure regulator iirc.

Standard internals, turbo etc.

Std XE inlet cam is a good mod too.

A air/fuel ratio meter is also handy on a turbo engine.

Or could do the same type of thing Phil Sutton has done, much larger turbo, and better design manifold.
    Last edited by Adam; 18-12-06 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i would go for larger injectors, FMIC, RRFPR (adjustable rising rate fuel pressure reg), nice tubular manifold and a t34, 3inch exhaust and also the xe inlet cam mod as already stated.

A nice tubular manifold and the larger turbo will reduce the backpressure quite well and will make more power on a lower boost than a standard set up, also benefits of lower charge temps etc. (but remember dont go too high on the boost because the bigger turbo is pushing in a bigger volume of air at the same boost).

That should give you a reliable 300bhp let engine, also i would put new bottom end bearings in, rings and arp rod bolts if you buy a standard engine.

as for management, greddy e-manage or something like that would prob be a good choice, plenty of add ons and tuner friendly

Have fun

p.s. some oversized valves and headwork probably wont go a miss to increase the VE's, make sure you get someone to do it tho who has had good results with let engines
    Last edited by atokley; 18-12-06 at 05:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have your self a look on www.vauxhallsportforum.com the guys on there realy know there stuff when it comes to tuning LET's (not saying NL users don't !! )

Rich

Dislikes stupid people
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my set up was saab red injectors (nice an cheap upgrade), evo 5 software, Increased fuel pressure, Xe inlet cam. That was pretty much it really engine wise. Only thing is you will need to uprate other things as well to cope. I.e clutch, go for a paddle one, i killed mine straight away. Some good tyres wouldnt go a miss either. Also you will an F28 6 speed gearbox with a LSD of some sorts in other wise you can kiss good bye to going forward.

But in order to get near 300bhp with the above you will need to have a healthy engine to start with. Mine was a very low milage one.

Head work isnt really needed unless your going over 400bhp. All my internals are standard bar the xe inlet cam and I am hoping for 400bhp ish on my new set up but we shall see what happens.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how much we talking to build a reliable 300bhp c20let.....

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R1CH
    not saying NL users don't !!

Rich
    I'd say they dont!!!!!! (bar about 3-4 of us )

a reliable 300bhp let engine is going to set you back a good ?3-4K + insurance and a proper shell to put it in

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and prefer not having to resort to nitros by the way before anyone mentions it

Senior User
    Manchester Drives: 911 Carrera 2, MR2 Roadster turbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does it have to be 300bhp? Just for pub bragging rights?

Most are around the 280bhp mark as it can be done cheaply on phase 2 chips which appear to be one of the most reliable out there and the standard turbo is only good enough for just shy of 300bhp anyway and when you start changing that it starts getting expensive!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a budget-ish(obv still expensive) i'd keep with a new/reconned kkk16 std turbo, and ph2 software.

280bhp in a nova is plenty enough,Lol.