Thread: weight saving on a 1.2 for getting more speed

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default weight saving on a 1.2 for getting more speed

right i got a 1.2 and i want it to be quicker would u think taking the seats out of rear and any unessersary parts out would help or not any help would be great

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you completely strip it then you'll notice a difference but just taking rear seats, spare wheel .... aint gonna make much difference.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took practically everything but the front seats, dash and headlining out of my 1.2 and it made it feel a bit lighter and a bit nippier in the corners. Could be placebo effect though

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iainel
    I took practically everything but the front seats, dash and headlining out of my 1.2 and it made it feel a bit lighter and a bit nippier in the corners. Could be placebo effect though
    I was thinking about taking my head liing out, anyone got a pic?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by db_1.2
    I was thinking about taking my head liing out, anyone got a pic?
    Its not pretty, plus its a nightmare to replace in the event of you selling the car!

ad4m - A stripped out Nova will be fapping noisy, and it is this which adds to the impression of speed!! It does help marginally with braking and cornering though. Id suggrst stripping it out once you have a decent set of tyres and suspension kit (the car looks silly, stripped on standard suspension!) then you will see a difference.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on what you want to use the car for chap. If you just want the car as a bit of fun, then yes strip the car to the bone!!!! You can remove the rear seats and belts, carpets, sound deadening(inside and in the engine bay), roof lining, plastic trims, heater/matrix and ducting, replace the windows with perspex, and so on and so on! The car will be lighter and there for faster, but is would be horrible to live with if it is your day car. (and a hand full round wet roundabouts!!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb
    Its not pretty, plus its a nightmare to replace in the event of you selling the car!

ad4m - A stripped out Nova will be fapping noisy, and it is this which adds to the impression of speed!! It does help marginally with braking and cornering though. Id suggrst stripping it out once you have a decent set of tyres and suspension kit (the car looks silly, stripped on standard suspension!) then you will see a difference.
    We did this whole thing a couple of years ago with what is my current shell. I ran a gte track shell previously that was stripped but with a cage etc. On the qtr mile it ran and embarisingly consistent 14.9 for 10 out of 13 runs spaced over 2 years. This led to a whole new game of a budget and a complete reshell alone to make a faster car and prove some points to ourselves

After spending just shy of 500 quid including the purchase of a mint shell we created what i basically drive now. The times shot down to a consistent 14.3 which is again the limit of what the car is realistically capable off. There was no power enhancements at all and we retained the cage/all the steel panels etc. So i'll think you'll find that anyone that has ran a 1.6 8v over the qtr will admit to get below a 15 is an achievement even by todays standards, but to knock a further 0.6 off of that time purely through removing weight is a BIG difference when the car is performance wise on its limit.

Thats just in a straight line, you should see the difference it gave the car on track

*edit* also as an everyday car i ran mine for almost 18mths as it is now and didnt have any problems with it at all, something that can only be commented on by those that have given it a real go and not a few namby weeks or have been in mates cars etc.(as most of you know mine is about as bare as road legally possible inside pmsl) As regards wet roundabouts ?? hello?? if the car is stripped then yes measures are needed to bring it back down to earth, but set properly i have far to much grip wet or dry, track or road . The bad rumours normally come from people that half do jobs and leave it at that either from not knowing what to expect or not being bothered etc
    Last edited by Dan; 10-12-06 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mines all stripped out with no headlining, its not that loud really you could live with it as a day to daycar no probs. i ended up putting some acoustic carpet on the roof just to stop it sounding a like a tin box as much !!

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R1CH
    Mines all stripped out with no headlining, its not that loud really you could live with it as a day to daycar no probs. i ended up putting some acoustic carpet on the roof just to stop it sounding a like a tin box as much !!

Rich
    You obviously spent a lot of time and effort removing the insulation and glue from the roof.

Dislikes stupid people
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ripping the interior out is great fun, you can get carried away though. I have no heaters, dash Ive even cut the insides of my doors out an bolted the windows up shut to shed a few more kg's. And for anyone the says you cant do it to a road car, I use mine every day, but then again maybe I have a problem