Thread: Windscreen Wipers have locked

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Windscreen Wipers have locked

Okay, partly my fault. It was frosty last night, but I didn't realise how bad it was, and didn't clear away all the ice around my wipers. When I tried to turn the wipers on, they had a brief moment of trying their best to release themselves from the ice they were encrusted in, and then died. I then belatedly cleared away all the ice around the wipers, but now they won't budge.

Does anyone know, what I may be able to do myself to fix the problem, or will I need to take it to a garage and pay through the nose? My car knowledge is not brilliant to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a look at the motor behind the firewall, see if it turns when you flick the wiper stalk on.
    The linkage might have just slipped off the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the speedy reply.

However, 3 words have stumped me. Motor, Firewall and Linkage. Do you have to open the boot to get too these? As you can see, my mechanical knowledge virtually neglible.

cav c20let member
    fareham,portsmouth drives:a c20let cav gsi hates: french cars
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you open the bonnet the firewall is where the battery is if you look to the right of it you will see a metal bar connecting your wipers and your motor together. take a lookm and see if these are broke or have just come apart. also get somone to have a go at flicking the switch on and see if the motor is working(you should here it trying to whine) also the little arm on the back of the motor should try and spin round. hope that helps mate!!