Thread: Drivetrain problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Drivetrain problem

Hello, just wondered if anyone can help me with this problem!

drivetrain spec of my nova, f20box, quaife atb lsd, late spec astra gte hubs and driveshafts.

Heres the story: Went over a mini roundabout and it bumped a little, all of a sudden i have no drive and every gear makes a grinding sound when i lift the clutch up! Take a closer look and none of the driveshafts are moving and the grinding sounds like it coming from the diff/inner cv joint area!

My mate toes me home, all of a sudden the car starts driving again! I knew my passenger outer cv was on the way out so i changed it, got in the car and it drove fine.......for 500m!

I let of the accelerator, put it back down and all of a sudden its grinding again.

When i changed my outer cv joint i noticed the inner boot had gone so i changed the boot (without removing the shaft) and repacked it with grease.

From this explanation is it clear what the problem is? I dont really have a clue, thought i would ask before i go draining the gearbox and pulling the shaft to check the inner cv's.

Cheers people

cav c20let member
    fareham,portsmouth drives:a c20let cav gsi hates: french cars
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you may want to check the inner c.v it sounds like its playing up. you may find you have stripped the teeth on it which means a new one is required

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edens-xe
    you may want to check the inner c.v it sounds like its playing up. you may find you have stripped the teeth on it which means a new one is required
    Just checked and the driver side one had popped out slightly! just popped it back in! ****ing thing

Cheers mate

Dislikes stupid people
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ make sure it hasnt sheared the end of the cv off, i had this problem in the nova. Snapped a shaft at pod, changed it there then went for another run but hadnt popped it in properly and it came out an snapped the end of the cv off. I could get it back in an driving up because the clip was still in the diff it would keep coming out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philsutton
    ^^ make sure it hasnt sheared the end of the cv off, i had this problem in the nova. Snapped a shaft at pod, changed it there then went for another run but hadnt popped it in properly and it came out an snapped the end of the cv off. I could get it back in an driving up because the clip was still in the diff it would keep coming out.
    Cheers for the advise mate,after i popped it back in i have givien it a good 'testing' and it seems to 100% again so dont really want to take the inner cv out to check it as i will have to change the gearbox oil and i'm lazy :P

Dislikes stupid people
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be lucky then, i had to take my diff out to get the sheared end off out of it.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like your gearbox oil is going to be full of metal filings, might be wise to change the oil anyway.