Thread: Engine keeps dieing, urgent help please!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Engine keeps dieing, urgent help please!!

Hi,

Our 1.6gsi is playing up. It starts fine from cold but after driving half a mile or so it cuts out when slowing down like approaching a junction, roundabout, etc. Once it has cut out its difficult to restart for a few min's, then it gets started again, only to cut out again in another half mile or so. I'm aware its probably some sensor on the injection system to ecu thats at fault, but can any of you guys out there give me a pointer on where to start looking and checking.

Cheers

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1.2 carb was starting up ok and idling then cutting out when warm(ish). It turned out to be the ignition coil after I'd replaced rotor arm/dizzy cap/leads/plugs through to the coil, it must be the right weather for making electrical things screw up! Also might pay to get some Wynns carb and fuel injection intake cleaner through it (helped my friends GSi run a bit smoother in the recent cold/damp.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I've sorted it. The vacuum pipe on the top of the coasting air valve had split, now resealed with some insulation tape as a temp fix and its stopped it cutting out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I was speaking too soon! My lad says its still cutting out (last night), I've checked the split pipe today and its still sealed ok with the insulation tape so it seems this is not the problem. Haynes advises to check the coasting air value operation, but this needs a vacuum pump with gauge, which I don't have.

So can anyone suggest a decent garage to look at the job for me (near Warrington area North West), or suggest anything else that may be causing this problem?

Cheers

Ste

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could be down to the icv , or the cts , could do with cleaning the icv out and see if that makes a difference , if not have a drive down to mine in middleton as i have **** loads of spares to play with

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers m8, will try cleaning the icv and if it don't cure it I will deffo take you up on the offer to come and test a few other bits out with you.

Cheers

Ste

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mite b wrth checking the fuel pump relay to that can give some trouble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sr has been doing similar recently and it was the vacuum pipe from the TB to the Dizzy had come off!@