Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reyland Brakes Group Buy? Anyone?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ap caliper the rayland ones,
    shouldnt be compared to the willwood kit as these are discs and bells, better calipers and bigger discs,

very good kit mate and if u could get a decent price on a group buy im sure u would have peaople on migweb and corsasport interested too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ap caliper the rayland ones,
    shouldnt be compared to the willwood kit as these are discs and bells, better calipers and bigger discs,
    Sorry but I dont think the bells are worth another ?400

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't understand the quality of the Reyland setup compared to the Willwoods.

I can hammer the reylands all day long on the track and suffer no fade whatsoever. Anthony off MIG did several hard laps round the ring in his 300bhp mk2 astra let with no fade and great performance. I've heard the Willwoods have there limits.

As far as clearance is concerned, its not the disc size its the caliper. They only fit under my sofstars with a 5mm spacer which is no biggy. The fit straight under 16" voodoos too. Not sure about speedlines.

I think Martin changed the kit slightly not long after mine tho so they sit slightly different.

I was lucky when I got mine for about ?500 in the last group buy then!

Simps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a fair comment, but not a fair comparison.

Tar-ox 10-piston calipers are better than Reylands, but I'm sure you couldn't justify the ?2000+ that you'd have to pay! Most of the people who would get involved in a group buy on here will never know/feel the difference between wilwoods and reylands. The people who WOULD feel the difference (like yourself!) have already upgraded their brakes to the highest spec they can get/afford.

I have had wilwoods on my purple valver and they performed excellently.

TBH most people who own Nova's DON'T go to the Nurburgring doing 3 laps at high speed! And some of those who do tend to have Vauxhall braking systems from what I can gather, and that seems to do the job!

IMHO I think that the Reylands are overpriced at ?800 for the majority of people to buy for an item which they will never fully utilise!

BUT i appreciate your comment Simps, and I'm sure the Reylands are better than the Wilwoods as you have stated.

I think I'll go to 4-pots again soon myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point Rick I see where you're coming from.

I just get excited about the Reylands because they really are awesome!!

For most road going nova's tbh, the 308mm V6 setup is more than sufficient and very cheap replacement discs and pads from vaux.

Simps.

User
    Leamington Building V Quick & Low 17'd 8v GSiiiiiii And Driver of B@rge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the Above. The REYLANDS are Awesome!!! Brought a set a few months back and I am very happy with them to say the least. Also I thought ?800 was a good price, but I hadn't seen the likes of the Wilwoods at that price That is cheap!!!

And your right, unless you run an XE or LET with big power and do a lot of trackdays, the majority of people wouldn't notice the difference between the different setups under normal driving conditions.

Neil

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with Neil there.

After using my reylands and then having a go in my mates xe nova with v6 brakes I found them plenty for the road.

In 8 laps of Donny though I fried a good v6 setup on mine with 150bhp.

Wilwoods are good value but no where near good enough for a well used big block nova, end of.

Wilwoods were 495 from Rally Design when I brought my Reylands but a few people I knew with them were eating discs and pads at track days

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can remember people running 256's back in the day and raving about them, and the jump up to V6 was HUGE!

Then 4-pots were another leap forward but in all fairness how far do you want to go?

I personally couldn't justify ?800 for Reylands when I could get Wilwoods for half that, unless they were twice as good! But for what 90% of people on THIS site will use the car for, 256's are probably enough with ATE calipers!

I believe that the Hi-spec kits are better than the Reyland stuff and are (slightly?) cheaper?

Anyway, any prices for group buy

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ffs you dont need "big power" to justify those kinds of brakes, its what you do with them and how heavy the car is

the braking effort is determined by vehicle weight and speed... and is generally limited to 1G of force

Fade... well thats largely controlled by the pad... so calipers etc have little to no effect.. eg awesome pads in 1.2i ate calipers "could" potentially fade less then these all singing and dancing reylands with crap pads..

bigger isnt always better. its what they are made of that counts