Thread: Engine Rebuild\Imobiliser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Engine Rebuild\Imobiliser

Hi

I am about to rebuild by 1.3sr engine. I havnet doen this before but i have got the haynes manual. i have got a few questions :-

1. I have got one of those three legged glze breakers whihc you stick in your drill, how long to i have to run this in each cylinder? how will be able to tell if it is done enough?

2. I want to paint the block, haed and cam houseing do i have to use special paint or would something like hammerite work?

3. The lifters have been removed and have proberly drained by now so are they likely to be hosed or will i be bale to refill them with oil so that they wont tick after the rebuild?

4. How do i check if the water pump and oil pump need replacing? how much are they if they do?

5. If i get a cam kit do i get a full set of lifters and followers included? Would it be cheaper to buy the lifters and followers seperate?

I have also just bought a toad laser key imobiliser from yahoo actions for 15quid but it doenst come with any installation instructions. Does anyone know where ic an get them from? And what should i imobilise - it has got 2 imobiliser points

thanks

danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RE: Engine Rebuild\Imobiliser

read what i've put on roybacer mate

Ged

Nova Community
    Visit: www.RoyBacer.co.uk
    Email: Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

read what i've put on roybacer mate

Ged

Nova Community
    Visit: www.RoyBacer.co.uk
    Email: Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i heard u twice the first time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

water pump - if turns smoothly without undo play its OK.
    oil pump - take it to bits and check with feeler gauges as in Haynes. Most probably fine if your oil light didn't ever come on before.
    hydraulic lifters - so long as they have remained clean and the oil was OK etc in the engine b4 u took it to bits just put them back in putting clean oil into the galleries where they are seated. You can take them apart and clean if u want - see Haynes.
    When you restart turn engine over by hand to start with (no plugs in) and then wind round on starter motor to prime oil system up again.
    Changing cam? ALWAYS fit a new set of followers which are sold new with the new cam. Follow the instructions given carefully to run the cam in without destroying it and if no special oil is given use a bit of transmission oil on them.
    Honing the bores? U sure you know what you're doing? This is usually done in conjuction with fitting new piston rings. If it didn't burn loads of oil b4 and had good compression (get a tester) don't bother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI

fitting new piston rings as there i found a couple broke when the engine was stripped

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the block is stripped down I would take it to a engineer who bores out car engines and get him to check the wear for you with a micrometer. There's a good chance that the bores maybe damaged or too far worn for just new rings and a hone to work OK