Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suspension, brakes and cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default suspension, brakes and cam

ok blokes, my nova 1.4sr (91) is sitting on 15" alessios and standard suspension. The front is riding high so im gonna drop it. Im gonna go for a spax 60mm kit, will this cause any problems? next im gonna go for a big brake conversion. what do i need? ive been told to get astra gte discs and callippers and the astra servo.
    finally, im having the engine reconditioned and fitting a kent cam whilst the engines in bits. any ideas of the performance gains? ive heard that it should gain 18 brake. cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RE: suspension, brakes and cam

If your going to drop it 60mm, your rear arches will need moddin. The best fit tyre will be 195/45/15's. If your off set isn't the Vauxhall off set (49mm) you will encounter problems lowering it this much.

As 4 your brakes, I don't think you need to change the brake servo, I have Astra GSI brakes on the front of mine, and there fine on the nova 1.

The cam, I think you could realistically be looking at about 10bhp, but any thing else is a bonus.

Hope that helps

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a guide to fitting Astra 16v brakes on www.topbuzz.co.uk in the guides section. It'll tell you what you need in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you need the astra servo. The kent cam alone won't give you 18bhp, if you fit a K&N, Exhaust and manifold and get it gas flowed it might just about give you that. The suspension should be OK if it is a spring & shoks kit apart from the rear arches may need some minor work to stop the tyres scrubbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

firstly im a chick so address the msg to chicks too!!! in response to ur 15in wheels they should have 195/50 tryes, if ur lowering more than 35mm and ur tyres are more than 175mm u will get scrubbing! unless u get ur arch lips ground or flattened! this is an easy one as u have 15in wheels already. the astra gte brakes have ATE callipers and 256mm discs this means u will probably need a bigger brake servo. just remove the dust covers from the back of the calliper then remove the bolts using a hex key(10mm i think!) follow instuctions in the haynes manual and make sure u bleed the brakes b4 sing it!

cheers novachick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I`ve done the 256mm conversion to mine (GTE) and it`s a lot better. Watch ot for the clearance between the wheel center and the calipers though, I had to shave 1mm of to stop them rubbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aren't allessios 16"?
    and u can just get a nova gte/gsi servo no need for astra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually novachick my tyres should be and are 195/45 tyres, next paul jackson my car is already 20bhp up from standard from the mods i already done and ive got the rolling road printout to prove it. anyway ive plumped for a 40mm drop and rolled rear arches, and im not bothering with the brakes as im just gonna upgrade to red dot stuff, i know it wont be as good but i cant be arsed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I thought it was 195/45 for no scrubbage too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy I believe your car is 20bhp up with the weber carb and exhaust. What I was trying to say was to get the best out of the cam you will have to do other mods, i see you,ve already got the filter, exhaust and a weber carb. If you combined the new cam with a gas flowed head at the same time you will see a big increase, also a 4-2-1 or 4-1 manifold might be a good mod. if you havn,t done it already.