Thread: Putting windows back in HELP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Putting windows back in HELP!

How do you put the rear and boot windows back in cos i aint got a clue! tried but no luck....help plzzz!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haynes manual has good instructions, but I don't have it to hand... off the top of my head, you put some string around the rubber, in one of the folds all the way round, then put the window in place on the outside. Have an "assistant" go inside and pull the string through all round the window, whislt you push on the glass from outside. The string being pulled out should pull the rubber back over the metal flange round the window edge.

I've never done the tailgate glass but i'd assume its the same process

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeh tailgate worked the same 4 me

the string job is your best bet - just lube it up with abit of fairy liquid all the way round, make it abit easier ::

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with doing this can you use the old window seal? ,Do you need some sort of glue or sleant? Want to tint my windows at home any other tips Razor as i rember you said you had fun doing yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window tinting is really easy once you get the hang of it :D

You can use the old window rubbers, and don't need any sealant. I took all the side windows (didn't bother with the rear though) in and out my car about 3 or 4 times.

As for tinting, its similar to the window removal in that its best to have an 'assistant', and once you've done it a couple times its easy. If you don't have a spare set of windows to put in then choose a day when you won't be using the car much or you can leave it in a garage.

You'll need:

:arrow: Window tint, obviously - always advisable to get more than you need as the first time you do it you might bodge it

:arrow: A window wiping squeegee - the thing that window cleaners use to get the water off windows. If not, a windscreen wiper should do the trick, its the same thing.

:arrow: A spray bottle of water - you can get these from garden centres, the handheld spray bottles for killing weeds. You'll need one that can spray a fine mist.

:arrow: Some soapy stuff, e.g. washing up liquid - only a small amount just to make the water in the spray bottle slippery

:arrow: A towel - for mopping up excess water

:arrow: Scalpel or small sharp knife - for trimming off excess tint

:arrow: Scissors - for cutting the tint to the size of the window before application

:arrow: Nail varnish - to seal the edges of the tint once on the window.

You'll probably find this easiest to do on the small front quarter windows first, then move onto the bigger ones. Also bear in mind if you're going to attempt the tailgate glass I think you'll need to cut the tint into strips - I didn't bother with this one for that reason ::

1/ Remove the windows from the car (see haynes manual), and give them a good clean with a little white spirit or decent cleaner to get all the grease off. You only really need to do the inside but I did both as the windows were pretty dirty. As you only use a little cleaner you shouldn't need to dry the glass. Giving the windows a good clean here will prevent a lot of air bubbles caused by dust and gunk on the windows later on.

2/ Overlay the tint on the inside of the window and cut to size with the scissors.Doesn't have to be exact, but as close as you can. I found it easier to go ever so slightly inside the window edge (1-2mm) as this will allow you to squeegee out any excess water better.

3/ Remove tint and spray a fine mist of the soapy water onto the inside of the glass. Remember you're only making the glass damp; don't drown it else the glue on the tint won't stick. Using this water not only allows you to slide the tint around, but it should help avoid getting air bubbles. Any bubbles you do get can then be wiped out with the window squeegee or windscreen wiper.

4/ This is where your assistant comes in handy. Hold up the tint, and carefully peel the backing plastic off it. Spray a little more of the soapy water on the glue side of the tint as you peel the backing off. Believe me I've tried doing this on my own so I know why you need an assistant ::

5/ Carefully lay the tint down onto the damp window, glue side down. You should find that the tint can slide round slightly allowing you to accurately position it.

6/ Give the tint a little spray of water, so that the window squeegee or windscreen wiper can slide over it (doesn't really work so well on a dry surface).

7/ Use the window squeegee or windscreen wiper, and squeeze off any excess water from under the tint. Start at the middle and work your way out to the edge of the window. You may need to go over a couple of areas a few times, so if needed add a touch more water spray to the tint.

8/ As you get to the edges with the wiper, use the towel to absorb any excess water that comes out. This should stop it from going back in under the tint and making bubbles. You may also want to 'follow' the wiper with the towel, drying the tint and pressing it onto the glass at the same time. Bear in mind this stage can take some time, especially if you used a little too much water at the start; last time I did it I kept getting the water come back under the tint lifting it up at the edges. Just need to keep pushing it down with the squeegee and towel.

9/ Once you're happy with the finish, use the scalpel to tidy up the edge of the tint. Try to keep the gap between the edge of the tint and the edge of the glass to under 3-4mm else the gap may show when you window is back in the car.

10/ Finally, go round the edge with the nail varnish. This seals the edge of the tint and stops it from peeling off when you open and close your windows. Also stops rainwater getting in under the tint and lifting it off the window.

11/ Give it a few hours to dry; although I left mine out in the summer sun for about 30 mins and it was ok.

12/ Reinstall windows to car. See Haynes manual again

Note, the legal level of tint only applies to the front side windows - so thats the main door windows and front quaters. Rear quarters and tailgate window can be whatever you like.

As of October 2005, the maximum legal tint level for vehicles used on or after 1st April 1985 is 30% for the front sides, and 25% for the windscreen. You need to allow 70% light transmission through the sides and 75% through the windscreen. Pre-85, its a 30% tint tops on front and sides.

Remember your windows may already have a slight tint to them. I think some SR's and SRi's/GTE/GSi's had a minor tint to the glass, which will obviuosly affect the end result if you add a 30% tint on top of that. The police are getting quite picky about window tints these days and can impound your car if the tints are found to be excessive. Despite popular belief, VOSA agents (who carry the test equipment) can order you to stop, as they've been given special powers by the police to do so.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rear window in my old nova was a twat gav up after 4 seperate attempts just couldnt do it\get it right