Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova carbon bonnet --> we found waldo...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ade
    didnt Dan (djpy2k) mave a carbon bonnet on his mentalist Nova.
    Ade
    it was a normal bonnet with a vent, sprayed black with carbon looking vynal stuff put on.

edit:found a pic

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:: ::

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atic
    Maybe 2 post weren't enough as i said loads of times before i wanted to c a carbon look finish on an 100% carbon bonnet. That one's painted...
    no its not, he had the mould for the CARBON bonnet but he sold that when he broke the car for parts

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having the mold doesnt mean the bonnet has a carbon look. If it has well get a picture :idea:

The owner doesnt seems to have...i already searched and nothing came up...

I really would like to c a pic of that to know if i have a skill problem or if it is just impossible to do without especial equipment...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i posted about al's on mig, and it is 100% carbon with visible weave(that your after) and it is just the weave with laquer on it (not paint)

and what part are you not getting right, a nova bonnet should be easy to do compared to say wing's like this;

as all the bonnet consists of (shape wise) is one big centre peice (slight slope either side) and two end parts that are about 1/4" lower than the main part.

imo sounds like your getting wound up because you've tried it and got it a little bit wrong, but i rekon if you give it a few more go's youll get it spot on (then maybe you could sell a few and make some ???'s

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alrighty then some good answers coming up..

I only did a fibreglass bonnet and the final piece is so perfect is doesnt need filling before paint :wink: . The mould can also be used to carbon SO i want to studie some things first :twisted: dont wanna spend on try outs.

STILL your answer does not tell what i asked. I already know its carbon and NOW also Carbon look! That's good! :wink:

NOW is it a PERFECT match of the original bonnet? That's the final question..and i need pics to believe :twisted:

ps - i know its possible i just doubt it looks as good as it should! :|

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try to explain...the side parts of the bonnet are not easy to do. The side parts are the ones with maybe 1" that rests on 2 sponge bits when the bonnet is closed. So it might seem im pretty fck up with such a detail BUT im a perfeccionist...i could do it with fibreglass but on carbon it will always b noticeable that it was made separated.

The same thing happens on the front cuz when the bonnet finishes it has another 1" strip of metal on the inside and thats also fck up to do on just one layer.

In the end you have the meeting points of the 2 kinda of metal strips and thats even more fckd up.

I want to know if anyone cud do it or if you simply do the top surface cuz that's really simple.

BTW my fibreglass bonnet also as fibreglass copies of the inside parts where the bonnet is attached INCLUDING the original closing device so it doesnt need clips :wink: neet huh?

So help me out on this one :idea:

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now own Al Wilson's carbon bonnet.

It is a REAL carbon fibre skin which is fibreglassed to the metal frame of the standard Nova bonnet.

(Its like a sandwich; the top is carbon fibre, then metal frame, then fibreglass)

Oh yeh, Dan Payne's bonnet (on the yellow Nova) is made in the same way, it is NOT carbon fibre effect!!!

Rob.

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?Thank you!! Mate...

So the mistery is solved THERE ARE NOT 100% CARBON FIBRE BONNETS FOR NOVA WITH CARBONN LOOK FINISH...

How about that? :wink: I was right after all...well my friend you got there a really good looking bonnet, its a shame it is so heavy...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, it does look ace, and it is still VERY light, obviously not as light as 100% carbon, but it is lighter than the standard bonnet.

When I first got it I weighed them both (standard and carbon), and the carbon bonnet is considerably lighter!

Rob.