Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly
    Ner ner you didnt give him a blob, but i did

So what's the deadline now on this Dave and what events/area will you be attending next year, would love to see this in the metal whilst in action.

Club Member Club Member fearless's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine all paid for with Martin Bowyer - told him we need it by christmas - then we can plumb in radiator and coolant system etc

Will be running Acusump system so need to find a home for that

Still loads to do but have most of the major components - but all the finishing touches can add £££ to the final bill !!!

Expect the car to be finished by early next year - following a trip to Harry Hocklys Motorsport to set up Geometry/suspension hope to a do a track day somewhere to do a shakedown and explore the limits

Rally events will be Tarmac based in UK mainly in the north (Single venues /epynt etc) - along with trip back to Belgium montebourg rallysprint

Can't wait for a drive

Dave
    Dave France - The talent behind Fearless Motorsport Developments (FMD), creator of many a feature car including Brett Warburton's NovaWRC TotalVX cover car - a test run for my own project !!

yorkshire: Drives. A3 Sline,Octavia VRS & J20LTB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming along nicely Dave

Nick.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plans sound cracking, where in the North are you running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick J
    Coming along nicely Dave

Nick.
    Cheers Nick

Not ideal painting it in a garage - but for a rally car where we expect some panel damage we feel its acceptable

Quite a few tiny silicon marks if you get up close in the orange paint - whats the best remedy for these - touch in with paint - flat and buff ?

It's difficult to decide whether to repaint for a perfect finish - but in the back of your mind you think you might have a slight 'off' on the next rally and have to paint/re panel it anyway !!!

To be honest - the finish isnt that bad - using a small smart repair gun - managed to get quite a good shine

Once the final paint scheme/ stripes / stickers etc are on the car I don't think it will be that bad

Saw a Ford WRC Stobart Focus with a rear quarter panel riveted on over the original panel - the close up finish was terrible - but the overall car was amazing

If its good enough for the works rally teams - Our home garage work of art shouldn't be that bad

Ps - I'm sure i've seen a Anti Silicone paint additive - is it any good - does it work (still using Cellulose Paint !!!)

Dave
    Dave France - The talent behind Fearless Motorsport Developments (FMD), creator of many a feature car including Brett Warburton's NovaWRC TotalVX cover car - a test run for my own project !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Southie
    Plans sound cracking, where in the North are you running?

Will be the usual single rally venues - North west stages / mamby / croft / Mira / 3 sister (Wigan) / Melbourne Airfield / IOM /Blyton etc

Maybe a trip to ireland to see how the real loonies do it

yorkshire: Drives. A3 Sline,Octavia VRS & J20LTB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fearless
    Cheers Nick

Not ideal painting it in a garage - but for a rally car where we expect some panel damage we feel its acceptable

Quite a few tiny silicon marks if you get up close in the orange paint - whats the best remedy for these - touch in with paint - flat and buff ?

It's difficult to decide whether to repaint for a perfect finish - but in the back of your mind you think you might have a slight 'off' on the next rally and have to paint/re panel it anyway !!!

To be honest - the finish isnt that bad - using a small smart repair gun - managed to get quite a good shine

Once the final paint scheme/ stripes / stickers etc are on the car I don't think it will be that bad

Saw a Ford WRC Stobart Focus with a rear quarter panel riveted on over the original panel - the close up finish was terrible - but the overall car was amazing

If its good enough for the works rally teams - Our home garage work of art shouldn't be that bad

Ps - I'm sure i've seen a Anti Silicone paint additive - is it any good - does it work (still using Cellulose Paint !!!)

Dave
    Hi Dave,

The way I usually remedy silicone is to..... 1. Flat the silicones and the small area around them using 1500/2000 wet/dry 2. Touch them in with activated topcoat. 3. Lastly give it a few days to dry then block off the touch ups until flat with 2000 wet/dry then polish with the machine/cutting compound to bring your finish back to life and with a bit of luck it should be spot on.

Hope the above helps. Ive never used the anti silicone additives so I cant comment on how well they work Im afraid. Im sure the car will look great when finished as you say its a rally car your building not a show winner so function over form at the end of the day. You will have to let us know when the cars at melbourne as thats only a few miles from me so Id like to see the car put through its paces etc.

Nick.
    Last edited by Nick J; 19-11-10 at 10:45 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not too far for me to travel to then Dave, well apart from Ireland

Nearer the time get some venue dates up and I'll plan a day or two out for next years calendar.

Edit: Are they still going to be running Melbourne next year, I know they've had a bit of a commotion with the farmer for the last couple of years.
    Last edited by Southie; 19-11-10 at 10:48 PM.

Hull, East Yorkshire. Drives: Vectra V6 'rusty bus'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fearless
    Will be the usual single rally venues - North west stages / mamby / croft / Mira / 3 sister (Wigan) / Melbourne Airfield / IOM /Blyton etc

Maybe a trip to ireland to see how the real loonies do it

These are very, very local to me so would love to know dates you intend to be there as id love to see this in action

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info Nick - will give it a try

Still a long way off hitting the stages yet - but will keep you all informed of when its out