Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1.4 sr 120bhp?????

Hayes Rebuilds: 40ft Narrowboat! Drives: Cav GSi Rep & TD Mondeo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I clocked 132mph, But I know thats well out....Its a nova! & Before anyone says anything its a digi dash-But thats doesnt make it 100%.

3 1/2 rods.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it makes it a damn site more accurate than normal clocks

Hayes Rebuilds: 40ft Narrowboat! Drives: Cav GSi Rep & TD Mondeo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I have to agree. But still mate you can see what Im getting at cant ya...132mph!!! C'mo. Even I laughed. Of course on a private road.

Midlands: Drives 2.1 400bhp turbo Security: Minigun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default tuning

Mine stared out life as a 1990 1.4sr, i tuned this about a year after i had it, using a sportex exhaust system, using second hand twin 40's which i got for ?230 a courtney weber carb cam which cost me about ?105 or less i think then i had the head proted and polished by some guys that just novas know for about 250 then a absoulte must beacuse the carbs need to be set up for your engine......i had it tuned at mikeanicks rolling road i still have power sheet in front of me:

Peak Power: 112.4bhp@6127
    Peak Torque 108.9lb ft@4549

When the nova was stripped out inside this was a very quick and revvy little car! The rolling road tune costed me 140 because the carbs needed to be jetted and set up correcty and i think the guy had it on the rr for 2 hours or so. I also brought a set of 2 bolt on k&n filters but took them off becuase you really do lose power ( it depends how long you want you lump to last)

So to recap

Exhaust 220
    Used Twin 40's 250
    Ported and polished head 250
    Courtney High lift cam 105 or less
    Tune on rollin road 140 or less
    Total: 965!!! i didnt realise it cost me that much but it was bloody quick when i was 17 and i declared all the mods with the underwrighters at cis even though the insurance was in my mums name!

If you go down the nitrous route ( i have done both ), a nitrous kit for a standard 1.4 single carb lump will set u back about 500-600 quid, unless you want to fit it yourself you will be looking at another 300 for fitting and setup, then your refills all the bloody time!!!

I used nitrous on my highley tuned 2.1L turbo as a method of getting rid of some of the lag as well as a nice push button boost at higher revs, it worked well when the bottle was warm but there is not point in unsing the gas unless you have the bottle at 800psi or more. i imported a Holley nitrous kit for the usa just like the 1 seen in the original fast and furious, you could buy a bottle heater and pressure gauge but it would have cost an extra 300 notes!! when ever i new that i was going to b using mine, i would simply leave the nitrous bottle by a radiator in the house for an hour or so then connected it back up to the line and away i went this worked okay but it was still dodgey. most people prefer the roar of n/a tuning and i think you will be much better off going down this route.

If you have any problems or quires your best bet would be to get in touch with justnovas, they will be able to tell you pretty much what ive just said and may even have a set of second hand 40's!

www.justnovas.co.uk

the other guys are velos, they can race tune a 1.4 engine up to about 140+bhp be using 1.2 pistons, big valve head and other custom bits and bobs! They take there vaux engine very seriously, it will cost you though!! they can be found at:

http://www.velosmotorsport.co.uk

I hope this has helped 8)

3 1/2 rods.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.2 pistons ?

Midlands: Drives 2.1 400bhp turbo Security: Minigun
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1.2 pistons

indeed they do use 1.2 pistons becuase the piston is actualy wider in diameter than the 1.4 piston, this is becuase the stroke on the 1.2 is different to the stroke on the 1.4 therefore they will rebore the 1.4 lump to except the slightley wider 1.2 piston and together with the 1.4 stroke this will increase the displacement to just under 1500cc i think.........check it will velos im 90% sure thats right.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they hybrid engiens arent as revvy due to longer strokes etc.

oh and velos dont exist any more, unless you want some wooden stuff made