Thread: bastid insurance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default bastid insurance

well i gota quote on a 1.2 corsa as ive just passed my test and they want 2k tpff!!!! what could i do 2 get it knocked down? could i go on my mum and dads insurance if so how would it work pls help as its doin my head in also would a nova be cheeper insurance wise? thanx guys :evil: :twisted:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending what year/model Corsa it is, you're looking at it being insurance group 2-4, whilst 1.2 novas are similar at group 3-4. However, the Nova has the "boy racer" image, and is a more attractive target to thieves and TWOCers so the premium may be higher (bear in mind there are also a range of other factors to take into account as well as this though).

Going on your parents insurance as a 2nd driver may save you a little bit of cash in the short term, but you're not collecting any No Claims Bonus of your own - so in a few years time if you wish to insure a car in your name you'll be back at square one facing high premiums (Also, you can only use your NCB discount on one car, so if both your parents have their own cars they can't use the NCB on both theirs and yours). This is known as Fronting - technically its illegal, as you're saying your parent is the main driver of the car and you just use it occasionally. If the insurance company gets wise to this (and most of them do ) they are well withing their rights to refuse to pay out for a claim and void your insurance, which will land you with some points on your license and an even higher permium.

There are a number of ways to reduce a premium:

• - If you have a garage, use it. Even a driveway is better than parking the car on a street.
      - Get an alarm/immobiliser fitted (most insurance companies only give discount for Thatcham approved units installed by accredited installers though).
      - Limiting your mileage can save a few pounds - the average is about 12k/year, even limiting to 10k/year can save you a bit.
      - Some companies give a discount for having an experienced driver, such as either of your parents, on as a second driver.
      - Shop around, get a whole bunch of quotes from different companies and play them off against each other to get cheaper quotes.
      - Some companies also give discounts for memberships to certain owners clubs; I think the PVG and Mig offer discounted insurance.
      - Sounds a bit obvious, but avoid points on your license - even 3 points for speeding can net you a hike in your premium, especially for an inexperienced driver.
      - And consider doing advanced driver courses (Pass Plus, IAM, Skid Pan, etc), although these will cost in the short term, they will bring longer term savings on your insurance.

Above all, don't lie to your insurance company - which includes about any of the above as well as any modifications - as if they find out, which they most likely will in the event of a claim, they could void your policy and you'll find yourself in trouble with the law for driving without valid insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers for the help matey. what would be the best car to get then for low insurance????

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try a company called "ratebeater". i went through onequote.co.uk to get to them though. they've got a young drivers section.

i was quoted ?1700 to insure a 1.6 gsi nova in my mums name when im 17 and only been driving about 6 months.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try admiral + tesco they seem to be quite cheap
    part from that you may have to take the hit in the first year an hope you don't have a crash or get any points
    it will soon come down with some ncd!