Thread: ...Sub, Amp, 6 x 9's, Your System...?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ...Sub, Amp, 6 x 9's, Your System...?

What Sub and Amp package or combination would you recommend... i.e good quality but good price also.
    e.g not Audiobahn as they are expensive as fcuk.

Large range of music going to be played...e.g from The Prodigy to The Used through Trance and Hard House so need something that will f ucking pound out the bass with e.g The Prodigy but also need good harmony in the car for the Trance and shagging music :: .

Would the Sub be wired up to a switch so that it is not in use all the time?

Would I need another amp to power components and 6 x 9 s?

What wiring kit should I be looking at?

Finally what head units would you recommend for around the ?150 mark?

Basically looking for a good all round system.

Maybe people could Review their system's at the moment and say what they like and dislike about it.

:+:

p.s not really wanting Sony Xplod stuff but since Rick said they are bullet-proof hmmm...but if you could recommend other brands I would be greatful also

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u like to ask a lot of questions :P

My setup is 2x sony 12" subs (they pentagon ones, can never remember the model name ) mounted behind the seats; Magnat Classic 480 amp in between subs (so i can reach the amp controls); Infinity 6x9s; and a Kenwood cd changer & headunit. The sub and speaker combination goes together pretty well, the Infinities do go quite loud and have great sound quality, but aren't great on bass - but the subs cater for that. Its managed my varied choice of music so far!

If u want switchable subs, the best option would be to put a switch on the power feed to the amp (or, better still, on the wire that runs from the HU to tell the amp to turn on).

Components usually come with their own integrated amp. As for 6x9s, mine run fine without an amp, to be honest they sounded a little better when running without the amp.

Wiring can be a bit of a grey area, some people say you get what you pay for and some say it doesn't matter, wire is wire. I picked up some oxygen free wire from a local hardware store for a fraction of the cost halfords was selling it (so it pays to not always look in car shops for audio wiring) and that does the job fine. If you want superb audio quality then i'd say spend out on wiring, but if you're not that bothered then save the money.

For ?150 on a HU, it depends really what you want. That's pretty much outpriced all the Alpine gear :: You ought to be able to pick up a good quality cd player (my mate's pioneer one is pretty good, but its mated with all Alpine speakers), or even a budget-mid range MP3 player. CD Changers tend to be about ?180-250 so a little bit more. Don't forget to look on the net, there's some good cheap stockists out there, lots with free p&p too. And don't forget ebay - altho i'd only really buy from shops on ebay, as audio is the kinda thing that could easily turn out to be nicked!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have just got a vibe blackair 12.

has a built in amp and for a 700w it seems to give out a hell of alot of bass, but u can fiddle around with it so its quieter, if u want?!?!?

think they are 280new, got mine for 110 off ebay.

good wi prodigy especially fat of the land - track 9

chaps

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road_knight, I knew you would reply mate, . ::

thanks, have got some ideas now anyway :+:

cheers lads

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:: no problem mate, as u can see by the length of the answer i didn't have much to do at work today :D

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right i was told that puttin a switch thro ur amp is bad for the sub as it sends a pulse down to it which can knacker it in

i dont know the full ins and outs of it
    its just what ive been told

as 4 my system
    i have a 12" alpine in the boot and 2 10" rockfords where the back seat used to be
    runnin 2 amps 1 for two subs the other for another sub and componants and the 6x9's off the hu