Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: steering vibrating

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shorty....since you had no probs before you fitted the alloys, it's obviously nothing to do with your car and has to be the alloys.

Have 'em balanced and if they're not bent or buckled, they should then be fine.

What you don't want, is to find that a wheel in bent (like I recently had with my 17's!) 'cos it means forking out for a new wheel! (like I had to!)

Loudandproud....yep, could be any of those but always do the cheepest first, i.e. balancing....it's the usual cause of wheel vibration in most cases.

I had it bad in my Cav recently.....I thought it was a dodgy ball joint or track-rod-end 'cos I've had them on and off so many times lately (playing around with different suspension set-ups), the rubbers on 'em are fooked.
    I thought "it can't be the balancing, 'cos the wheels have only just been balanced!"
    It turned out that they were out of balance and that the place that balanced them the first time had an out of calibration machine!

Once balanced "properly" at a different tyre shop (who discovered they were both out by 20) the vibration was gone! (almost)

I say almost 'cos I've still got some 'slight' vibration but I know that's down to the near-side outer CV being on it's way out.

Try doing a circle in the car with the steering on full lock....and try it both ways.
    If it's a CV going, you'll hear a definate clonking noise, like I do when turning right on full-lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what offset are they as were off a civic?

do we have another 'Lindz' problem :twisted:

Senior User
    St. Asaph Drives: Honda S2000 Drives: Passat TDi Drives: 106GTi Drives: 106XLD Drives: Swb Transit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd be more bothered by the fact the pcd is out :o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default steering vibrating

i dont know wot the offset is, they were first put on a clio from new then the civic. they are 15" with 195/45

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wots the pdc and wots a lindz problem?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PCD is the distance inbetween the hoes where the bolts go, and a Linz problem i beleive was 38mm offset.

I bet u the offset is compltely wrong, New clio's are close to et 45 i do beleive tho, depends, take the whell off and look for a stamp:

ETXX the XX will be a number, for a corsa u need inbetween 45-49. ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i cant find the offset stamp anywhere. they are hi octane H131. does any1 know wot the offset is on these wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i know that the pdc is correct, but i think the offset could be 38mm would this cause a problem and can it be sorted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok ive found the offset is 40mm. is this ok for a corsa and how much can i lower it

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Offset, even if it is out by quite a long way from the ideal, won't cause wheel wobble or vibration.

My 17's on the Cav are ET37 (far from ideal) but they cause no vibration at all.

The only effect you will get with a wrong off-set is tram-lining, i.e. the car may feel like it suddenly changes direction to one side all my it's self.....the wheels follow any slight bump or bulge in the road.
    Even with my ET37 though, I only get very "slight" tram-lining.