Thread: 1.6 8V engine block removal

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1.6 8V engine block removal

I’m very reluctant to remove the gearbox and would like to leave in situ,my block is stripped with no pulleys on/water pump removed along with cylinder head and so on,anyone done this before and managed to clear gearbox output shaft?? I’m planning on lifting the engine out the top not the bottom (this is how the engine was fit originally by me via the top and without the bonnet removed but the gearbox wasn’t fit then).Im pretty sure it will come past

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't speak for the 1.6 but, the 1.2 carb from my Nova was removed by a garage and the gearbox was left in. I'd have thought the 1.6 would be removable this way but can't say for sure.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally I know you can pull the shaft but mine is the later F13 box that doesn’t have the plate on underside for access to clutch so not sure I can pull the shaft on this box,I will pull the cap off for a nosey to see if the shaft can be pulled back,I’m pretty sure it can’t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've pulled engines on their own and gearboxes together with engines and if theres one thing I can say is just pull the lot, it's so much easier. Trying to get everything to clear enough to separate them is the car isn't worth the hassle. Normally only leave boxes in donor cars to keep them more mobile for scrapping as I'm normally only after the engine.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for future reference removing just the block and leaving gearbox in the car was a breeze,clutch the lot and no need to pull the shaft,I just removed the crankshaft pulley which left plenty of room.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)