Thread: A couple of questions re: upgrades

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A couple of questions re: upgrades

As mentioned before my car is close to going for its engine swap.

I'm also interested in power steering, getting disc brakes on the rear wheels (its having bigger discs on the front) and upping the power a bit from my new engine (its a 75bhp 1.6i).
    This is the perfect time to address almost everything I want doing with the car while its all in bits.

Am I right in saying its a Corsa electric rack i would want for pas? From which Corsa?
    How much grief is it to change from drums to discs on the rear?
    For the engine remap is a just a case of getting someone to remap the ecu? (I know I'll not get much, but I should think it would do 85bhp at least)
    I'm not sure what gearbox is currently on the engine but would I be better looking for an f13 close ratio? Anyone know the numbers I should look for?

Is there anything else I should consider while I still have time to check out parts etc before the car is taken to bits?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi mate,

The corsa power steering is all done via the column, there's a motor mounted to it. Search Corsa EPAS to nova and it should bring up some guides

Rear disks is relatively easy, I think anything from a Corsa B fits and some stuff from corsa C. Relatively easy to do.

The rest of the stuff needs someone more knowledgable!!!

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that, I'll look into it.

Had some bad news today - I've tried the speedlines I have on the Nova and the bloody things don't fit as its so low, they rub on the coilovers. Not sure if some 5mm spacers will work I still have to try that.
    It's a shame as I even bought some cheap wheels to sit the donor car on too so i could remove the speedlines from it.
    And one of the rear brakes on the donor car has bound solid since i drove it two weeks ago, I found the MOT in the glove box and it has advisories for every single part of the brakes. Nice.
    Last edited by RichGold; 23-02-20 at 11:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corsa b epas can be made to fit with some minor work. Or could fit a corsa b hydralic rack and find a pump and probably make the lines for it or use corsa b ones.
    Rear discs you have the choice of astra/cav ones with an internal drum for handbrake or use corsa c sri 1.8 rear discs and bolt them straight on. Astra ones require a plate welding on the axle to attach them but the handbrake is easy to make work. Corsa c ones bolt on but handbrake is on the caliper and a bit more involved to make work.
    Wouldn't waste time on a ramp of a smaller na engine without supporting mods as you'll be lucky to get 5hp.
    F13 close ratio will be stamped f13cr near the passenger driveshaft output

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually you have to "dress" the inner arch in for the coilovers to give more clearence. Wide wheels usually rub on them.

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by millworm View Post
    F13 close ratio will be stamped f13cr near the passenger driveshaft output
    I'll see about those corsa sri discs then, as regards the cr gearbox am I right in saying it will say something like f13cr3.74w? The last numbers are the final drive ratio? The lower the better?
    Quote Originally Posted by torquey View Post
    Usually you have to "dress" the inner arch in for the coilovers to give more clearence. Wide wheels usually rub on them.
    What do you mean "dress"? Remake the inner arch and mount the the coilover inboard with a new top mount? If that's the case I doubt I'll be going that far, If I can address it with some 3 or 5mm spacers and arch lip removal then I'd consider that, otherwise I'm reasonably happy with the GTE 3 spokes

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean dish it in around where the coil over sits so the spring wont rub with a little heat and a hammer. Then treat and re underseal it.