Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Merit to gsi project

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh when I did mine I cut and boxed it still hit slightly on hard acceleration so elongated the holes on the alternator bracket to move it over a little sorted it.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough mate
    My last one had just been bashed in and didn't foul but its the pikey way of doing it lmao

Seen a few different ways of boxing in so il decide once I've done the stitch welding

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh pal no worries .

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the wiring side
    Is it going to be easier cutting the plugs off the ecu side (on the nova loom) and unwrap the loom in bay and pull each wire through and see what I have left and go from there?

I'm confused on the wiring side
    I dont want to have loads of wiring clogging the bay if its not being used though

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got quite a bit done on Sunday
    I finally got a decent regulator for my mig gas bottle so thought id just start doing a bit of welding which turned into doing all the stitch welding in the bay .

I got the lower part of the front panel removed, going to need to make and weld 2 plates up that sit under the chassis leg and meet the front panel.

I stopped back all the seam sealer and got to welding, to say I've never welded before my welds came out pretty decent, ive still attacked them with the flap disc though as I dont want any welds showing, ill run some seam sealer over them all the smooth out all the edges.

Still got the wheelhouse braces to take off and replace and need to buy a new front panel yet, also need to do a small patch behind passenger strut.

I'm going to weld the strut strengthening plates on this weekend, drill some holes around the plates and plug weld them then flap disc them smooth.

I finished off with some zinc primer then some etch primer around where I've welded and any bar metal to keep rot from taking hold while I do all the other bits, once I've done the front panel and the small patch I can prime the bay and spray it.

Heres some pics

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good pal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tidy welding. Any chance of the chassis legs moving without the crossmember in, you got some measurements?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Tidy welding. Any chance of the chassis legs moving without the crossmember in, you got some measurements?
    No I didn't get any measurements mate, I figured that once I have the front panel if its slightly out then the front panel will bring it in once clamped up ready for welding

Really I should of welded a bar in but hey ho, uts done now.
    Gonna get the front panel ordered ASAP and get it on

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another few hours on the car today.
    Managed to get the patch behind the strut sorted, cut out the old metal, walked some jurist on it while I did other things then plated it up, what an absolute bastard to get to with the welder and grinder. Anyway I managed best I could gave it a coat of etch primer and seam sealed the welds which will be sanded smooth once dried.

Also got the strut strengthening plates on, im only adding these for looks, just puddle welded them on, smoothed the welds with flap disc and etch primed.

Cut out the rotten bit of battery tray and plated that up, the metal here is so thin it was hard not to blow holes even with the settings on welder right down, I got it done anyway, flap disc on the welds and some seam sealer which again ill smooth out when dried.

Then I seam sealed all the stitch welds, ill smooth all this aswell once dried and sanding all the bay ready to prime and paint.

My front panel should be here during the week so I'll get that spot welded on next weekend then I can get the bay primed and sprayed

Heres some pictures

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the front panel today so quickly test fitted, needs some adjusting and trimming so ill get on with that on Sunday.

Heres some pics