Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Merit to gsi project

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks really nice in the pics, just get the bumpers painted when you get a chance, just enjoy the car

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalnova View Post
    Looks really nice in the pics, just get the bumpers painted when you get a chance, just enjoy the car
    Cheers mate, I'm using it as my daily so bumpers will get done when I have some time off work .

Another update, got some spare time today so fit the front window surrounds to match up with the back, just need to wrap the B pillars now.
    Was going to fit the gsi dash but i ran out of day light, need to fit some strip lights or something in my carport for late night tinkering as my garage is full of motorbikes haha

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Club Member Club Member Jonesfach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the B pillars wrapped today, looks loads better and even more like a gsi now .

I have got a gsi dash to go in it, only trouble is the metal frame on the back has been taken off, I'm going to take the frame off my grey dash to put on but before I do I need to know where I can get these kind of rivets from that hold it on? Anyone any ideas?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got back from holiday and while I was away I had the car in to have all the underneath stripped back, treated then upol raptor undercoated

Good for another 10 years (I wish)
    Just need to sort the front wings now as they have a little surface rust on the edge then the car is totally rust free

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had some spare time today so I got my GSI dash fitted.
    I picked up a GSI dash for free......yes you heard right FREE , only problem was it had no metal frame on it so I searched for another normal dash to rip the frame off and ended up getting 2 spare dashes for free.....yes again FREE .

Anyway I took the frame off one of the spares which wasnt as quick as i thought, I got some leather rivet crush studs to try make it look as original fitting as possible and got to work fitting the frame to the GSI dash and turned out great.

Anyway I got it fitting into the car, I also fit the centre console with the windows switches on ready for when I fit the electric windows, hopefully do that soon. Also need some black under trays

Also the other day I stopped down an engine I have spare only to find out it's a 1.4spi same as what's in the car already but has a great inlet manifold with loom and everything else from a gte strange, so I've tracked down a c16se engine which I'm going to fit into the car when I pick it up and rebuild it.

Here's some pics

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a few more hours on the car today, got the electric windows fitted. Had to remove the doors so I could drill the holes for the loom to go through, dont it properly though etch primed the holes and painted to protect them.
    Also got the gsi door cards on now that I dont need window winders
    I hooked up the central locking too hut for some reason it doesnt work, I'm guessing the control unit is faulty so I'm in need of one if anyone has one for sale

Heres some pics

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to a guy in wales to pick up some little bits like door toppings and black parcel shelf holders.
    So got them fitted

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided to go down the redtop route as cant find a decent c16se engine so splashed out and got an early dizzy model with coscast head.

Got to work stripping it for a refresh, all new gaskets, cambelt, water pump, pulleys and tensioner.
    Also relapped the valves in and give the block a coat of hammerite black.
    I sprayed the covers to match the car and dont think it looks too bad for a quick job .

Still need a couple of things like single v pulley and belt, clutch kit and thermostat then it's just service parts.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the loom that on the engine, I hate wiring so need some help if anyone can.
    I dont see any wire for the ecu live, in the first picture this is all I have on the dizzy side of the wiring, looking at the wiring diagram on the forum there should be a wire with a ring terminal for ecu live.

On the ecu side of the loom all I have is the ecu plug, a rom plug which isnt used and the plug in the second picture which I have no idea??
    There is no wires on this side of the loom that would wire in behind the dash.

The third picture is the plug on the dizzy side of the loom, is this the plug that has the wiring for the fuel pump and other things?