Thread: 1.2l vs 1.2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1.2l vs 1.2s

Hi there everyone i have recently been looking about at novas and i noticed that the 1.2s novas have more power than the standard 1.2 litres? What is this down to, also how hard are they to find now a days? also can someone tell me how 1.2s and 1.2 litres preform on motorways ie gearing and all that? is there a better gear box to fit thats better as dont want to sit at very high rpms!
    Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was only one version of the 1.2 fitted to uk cars witch was the 12st some earlier european cars had a 1.2 pushrod fitted from the same family as the 1.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by millworm View Post
    There was only one version of the 1.2 fitted to uk cars witch was the 12st some earlier european cars had a 1.2 pushrod fitted from the same family as the 1.0
    We also had the 12NV, my 1991 mk2 had one. Marginal difference in torque/power between the 12ST and 12NV but nothing that would make a noticeable difference.

@Stuart; could probably tell you nerdy stuff about the best gearbox to use though

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were 3 1.2 engines, the ohv whch was fitted to early European Novas, although found on mk1 and mk2 astras I have never heard of one being on a UK Nova.

Carb Novas used the 1.2 OHC which would have produced 55 bhp.

The injection 1.2 OHC (from 1991) has some differences and although it produces 45 bhp, the torque is similar to the carb 1.2.

In my opinion there is not much between the 1.0 OHV, 1.2 OHC and 1.2i OHC engines for performance with exception to less torque in the 1.0 which is really only noticeable on steep hills.

Personally I prefer the 1.0 as it is light, revvy for a 1.0 (if maintained/set up right) and really straightforward.