Thread: Problems with car running

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Problems with car running

I’ve got a Vauxhall nova 1.2i merit, had no engine when I got it so put in the 14nv in it. The car is up and running, it will idle all day fine. Take it out on the road and pulls great but after a few minutes it starts cutting out no throttle response etc.

ive tried cleaning out the tank and fuel lines, cleaned and blew out carb jets etc
    i swapped the ignition coil and done the same thing
    i put new set of ht leads on it and that brought the problem on quicker than before

could be mechanical/fuel or electrical I’ve got no idea at this point.

Club Member Club Member Jonesfach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not enough fuel getting through by the sounds of it. Is the carb jetted correctly?

I take it it has a vac advance unit...is this working.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know it is. the engine,carb etc ran well prior to removal. It’s pierburg 2e carb.

I think ink it is but i’ll Check the vac advance unit again

it accelerates well gets up to speed no problem but after about 5mins of driving the problem starts,
    but the new ht leads have brought the problem on sooner get about 2mins of driving time now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allyh717 View Post
    As far as I know it is. the engine,carb etc ran well prior to removal. It’s pierburg 2e carb.

I think ink it is but i’ll Check the vac advance unit again

it accelerates well gets up to speed no problem but after about 5mins of driving the problem starts,
    but the new ht leads have brought the problem on sooner get about 2mins of driving time now
    If it runs ok for a bit it must be lacking fuel..fuel filter blocked...do they have one in the carb on those carbs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thought..is it an auto choke carb? Perhaps that isn't working properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s a new inline filter on it, not sure if it had one originally. Had a smaller one on it initially but swapped that out for a bigger just incase it wasn’t letting enough through.

it is an auto choke, it doesn’t appear to work. It was cold this morning so turned the engine over couple of times then pulled the air box off and choke was up. Had to push it down then it fired up okay. So probs need to replace that or try find a manual conversion

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deff sounds like it’s the choke. Always seem to fail on them. Manual conversions where available but not sure how easy they are to pick up now days. The filter won’t make a difference to the poor performance your having.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I’m going to have a good look at the choke next it’s not working so i’ll Have a go at fixing it. I can’t find a manual conversion yet but I’ve emailed couple of companies and waiting to hear back.