Thread: 1989 1.2 Merit 3dr Project

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1989 1.2 Merit 3dr Project

Finally bought myself a nova after years of wanting one! Seen it go up for sale one evening, 15 minutes after the advert went live I have phoned and agreed a price and when I was going to collect it. I went from sunny Scotland to the outskirts of London for the motor the following morning and after a thorough look over I drove it all the way home with no issues at all! The car was a one owner motor with every piece of paperwork from receipts to old tax disks. was bought in scotland by the woman and was taken down south to live out the years until I purchased it and took it back north of the border!
    Since getting the car home I have replaced the battery, light was coming on so thought it was either that or the alternator. Couldn’t trace back when the battery was last replaced so done it as precaution! Also sorted oils and fluids out. I have also taken off the rubber bump strips and badges off the rear of the car which I then got clay barred and polished to clear any residue. I also purchased a GTE kit for the car this included - front bumper, rear bumper, splitter, side skirts and spoiler from up North! Nice wee trip up to get all that! 👍
    Although these parts will just be sitting until the small rust spots are repaired. Once I took all the bumpers off and cleaned engine bay out and underside I found that behind the rear bumper has rust along it, the rear arches are both bubbling (bought inners and outer replacements) the sills have both had patch jobs done so could be done with being tidied up! I plan of converting the 1.2 into either a C20XE or 1.6 running twin Webber’s, hopefully put it on some bilstien coilovers, not decided wheels yet and GTE exterior! I will keep posting pieces as I go along although this won’t be a quick job as I have just bought a house! 😂

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds interesting

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good any pics? Where in Scotland are you from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dumfries, south west mate! Will put a load of pictures up tonight! Got a bit of work done on Sunday

Dr Sideways
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds just like what happened to me, stumbled across a 1.2 merit g reg, 41k, was the guys aunt, hadnt even advertsied it, did a deal there on the drive and took it home have a look at my WIP... updates soon