Thread: Engine swap

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Engine swap

Hi Everyone, Looking for a little advise, I intend to remove the 1.6 8V E16SE engine from my GSI and replace with a 1.6 16V C16XE keeping the F13 gearbox. How easy is this conversion any pitfalls I need to be aware of, going to run 45s (with different fuel pump and filter) or throttle bodies, will it fit in without modifying the fire wall/bulkhead.
    Any info would be gratefully received.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I would be removing the e16se from a gsi, as you will probably devalue it, but it's your car and Its up to you. As you say gearbox and shafts are fine and won't need changing, I would personally would go with throttle bodies over twin 40's, that means you'll need aftermarket management and it all adds up coastwise, would it not be better to spend some money on the 8v?

Oh and the bulkhead shouldn't need touching.
    Nick

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts, I understand the value of the car issue my intention is to keep the original engine to re-instal if I ever sell it. The problem modifying the e16se is the Bosch injection, if I changed the cam (not sure for what) upped the compression ported and gas flowed the better exhaust manifold (although the original is very good with a little work) and a few other things, you can't control the fuelling well enough to get the most out of all the mods retaining the Bosch injection. When the group A kit was produced way back there was a modified ECU included, the chance of finding one probably impossible and it wasn't that good, most people back then after a rule change fitted 45s. All the aside I have been told that the best 8v to tune is the x16se, better head and pistons more scope for modifying, I have considered this option on 45s or throttle bodies but at the end of the day the same costs as the 16v. The only small advantage with the 8v is when you open the bonnet it would look more original.
    Question, are the engine mountings for the 16v in the same place as the 8v. Good to know I will not have to modify the bulkhead.
    If you have any ideas for mods on the original engine I would like to know, I have the engine out right now for a refresh, head overhaul, rings and shells.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Nick

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the 16v engine boils in exactly the same as the 8v.
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.