Thread: Gearbox / driveshaft help

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gearbox / driveshaft help

Well 1 step forward 2 steps back is how things seem to be going at the moment with the nova .
    Today driveshafts came back from powder coaters so new boots fitted and attempted to fit but they won't stay in the gearbox they just fall out the clip is in fact etc.
    So looked inside gearbox with torch and could see a cog on it's side all lose . Put finger in and can move it around doesn't seem connected at all??
    Anyone got any ideas ? It drove etc before i stripped it down to restore. Is it down to starting car with no drive shafts ??
    Please any help will be appreciated

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So dropped gearbox sump off to find those 2 cogs in the bottom . Looking at the manual they just seat back in . The cups are still in place.
    If I put driveshafts back in will they hold them in place ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SRsam View Post
    So dropped gearbox sump off to find those 2 cogs in the bottom . Looking at the manual they just seat back in . The cups are still in place.
    If I put driveshafts back in will they hold them in place ?

Anyone ?? Surely someone has dismantled and rebuilt one of these .

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the diff has spun whilst the drive shafts were out, should be able to take the sump off and put them back in one by one.
    There should also be two shims in there that they look like half a ball (sort of) they need to go being the gears as you put them back in.
    Best way to stop this happening again is when you take the first shaft out place a folded piece of card in the hole to stop the diff from spinning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi mate many thanks for the reply. The shims you mentioned I've put those back in position just a case of putting the gears back in then ? Apparently they are called planet gears.
    My only worry was when I was younger I had at least 10 Novas all of which i used to work on , and I remember removing driveshaft and just putting them back in .
    I don't remember cogs / gears falling out is there anything that actually secures these in place or do they just sit in place it doesn't show anything in manual other than the parts I have got.
    Again thanks for replying
    Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of cars do this, don't worry about it. Like mention above it must of spun. Normally they stay tight as they don't tend to turn once the shafts are out.

I just but a LSD in my F20 and it nearly happened to me too.

Dan.

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No don’t worry as said a lot of box’s do this possibly because the shims are a little slack due to age/miles but it’s really not a problem.
    Just make sure that the shims stay in place when you put the gears back in, you will have to put the first gear in spin it around to the top then put the other gear in and spin them round at the same time until they line up with the shaft holes. This might take one or two try’s to get lined up but keep playing and you will get there.
    Just be sure that the shims stay in place, put one shaft in and check again.
    And yes they are referred to as planet gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for replying . I'll try get them back in tommorrow hopefully all will be ok. I will update once I have put back together
    Sam