Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions around exhausts 1993 Nova

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only via the gov website and it only said it failed the day before a passed retest and listed the failed areas. It did not list engine size etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leggattr View Post
    What info would the tester know about the car I.e if the engine is different and logged with dvla can they see that?
    Not sure what would come up on the MOT system, it might show engine size but the difference between 1.2 and 1.4 isn't going to be obvious to the average tester. They should notice a carburettor instead of injection system though

I would suggest maybe calling a garage first and explaining you need an MOT, but you have an older engine fitted in a newer car, needs the pre-cat emissions test etc. If this will be the car's first MOT with the new engine they'll probably update the MOT system with the new details.

Club Member Club Member Jonesfach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Not sure what would come up on the MOT system, it might show engine size but the difference between 1.2 and 1.4 isn't going to be obvious to the average tester. They should notice a carburettor instead of injection system though

I would suggest maybe calling a garage first and explaining you need an MOT, but you have an older engine fitted in a newer car, needs the pre-cat emissions test etc. If this will be the car's first MOT with the new engine they'll probably update the MOT system with the new details.
    This. Pop down for a little chat. If they are helpful then take it there. If they are just not interested take it somewhere else.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like the best idea. I think il fit the sr exhaust minus cat and see how it goes.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So called a local MOT centre that wasn't sure so will get back to me!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So called a local MOT centre that wasn't sure so will get back to me!!
    At least you will have a good idea of how it sits with the Mot man before you take it. Also not waste your time if they are going to fail it.....it sounds like they don't have a clue..

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well walked into another one nearer me today and talked through the situation. They 1st said do I have proof of where the engine came from, I acted dum and said it was already fitted but assumed it came from a 88,89,90 nova sr. After some head scratching The guy went and checked the computer and ask another tester and came back and said it would more than likely be a pre cat check. I told them il see them in the summer then!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well walked into another one nearer me today and talked through the situation. They 1st said do I have proof of where the engine came from, I acted dum and said it was already fitted but assumed it came from a 88,89,90 nova sr. After some head scratching The guy went and checked the computer and ask another tester and came back and said it would more than likely be a pre cat check. I told them il see them in the summer then!!
    Result.....