Thread: Astra GTE didgtal dash

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Astra GTE didgtal dash

As per the title, can anyone tell me exactly what I need to fit a digital dash from and astra to my mk1 nova?
    Anything to special watch out for?
    Its something I've always wanted to do so now I have the car I'm keen to get on with it.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a mk1 dash then you need to chop the dash and mod the windscreen vent channel on the back. Easy fit if you have the mk2 dash. All the other bits is the digi dash with both plugs and the gearbox speed sensor along with the plug and you might also need to swap the oil pressure switch to the one that gives oil pressure

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a mk2 cav dash enclosure which you cut the mk1 dash and fit this in place makes fitting the digi dash easier. Pm me if you want it.

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whe you say cut the dash, do you mean remove the whole dash pod that holds the clocks??
    That sounds like a lot of work! Im still up for it but will have to give this further thought.
    The only other option would be to go for the SR clocks which I imagine would be a straight fit.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to remove the whole plastic dash which isn't a big job but the digi dash is wider than the opening so it has to go in from behind. You need to scribe the digi shape to the dash using the astra surround as a guide then once it's close adjust the cuts so it fits perfect. I done it back in 2000 so mounted it in the dash but now I'd fabricate brackets so it's mounted on the body and dashboard fits over it. A flocked dashboard looks the bussiness too

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if I'm being daft, and I have taken a nova apart before, but are we talking about removing the whole dash and the refitting it, or removing the dash and cutting the clock part off of it and replacing it with (for instance) a cav clock encosure?

Again sorry if I'm being silly, I just want to be clear.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your removing the full plastic dashboard and you only use the mk2 astra bit to draw the shape to cut out but it can be done with cardboard