Thread: GTE GSI lowering springs

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GTE GSI lowering springs

I am looking for a set of lowering springs for my Opel Corsa A GSI 1.6 1988, there are lots out there online but for all models other than mine. what is the difference between springs for lets say GT 1.3 and mine. I have been looking at complete sport kits from Koni, Vootland and Eibach to lower the car 35mm + and none of them offer a kit or springs for the GSI 1.6. I can get sport struts and dampers and coil over kits are available for obvious reasons (don't want to spend that amount of money) so there must be a difference with spring seat or something.

Anyone out there know the secret!

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gsi was lowered by 25-30 mm as standard. But the front springs were standard length. They used different damper struts with lower spring seats.
    If you still have original spec front struts, you need to remember this.
    All lowering measurements will be based on the other models, so if you fitted -30 front springs, it will actually be -60. The rear springs were shorter than standard.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Thanks for the info, I will check what I am currently running with I think its incorrect, looks a little high at the front I haven't fitted anything since I draged it out of the barn, but I am guessing sometime in its life it has had a new set of front struts and possibly not the correct ones hence the ride hight, the rear looks ok, and the thought of it being 35mm lower for a road car is scary. Need to find some measurements to check the front.

Thanks for your info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to lower it start from the beginning with a new lowering kit, either good coilovers or a nice spring and shock setup.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any recommendation, only Koni seem to have a GSI specific strut which I would assume has the lower spring seat, so with my current springs which I believe to be the original one's, I would get back to the original ride hight for the GSI or get a complete kit for a different model.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had koni adjustables on my old gte I remember them being pritty good for the weight / power of the car . I then removed them and fit some cheaper but newer shocks and springs from a 1.2 kit and the car handled like the titanic and lifted the front end every time I floored it . Looked stupid . So yes id agree koni work well on a gte

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If getting a complete lowering kit then don't worry about the 1.2/GSi difference - just get a -40mm or whatever kit.

You may find aftermarket shocks are shorter than OE so probably won't work with standard springs, if that's what you are planning on doing.

-60mm kits are absolutely fine for road use so -35mm should be fine.

Sometimes they publish ride height measurements in Haynes - may be worth checking if there is something to measure against to diagnose your problems.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone for the input, I have ordered the correct struts for a GSI by Koni along with rear shoxs and a set of lowering springs by Eibach, Proflex bushes all round, and strengthen TCA's. Lets see how it turns out.
    Cheer's