Thread: Winter tyres?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Winter tyres?

So as the wet season is fast approaching and I need some tyres for the alloys I'm putting on the car, what would people reccomend for a good wet/winter tyre? I was thinking something like Uniroyal rainsports. Car is MK4 Astra estate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rainsports are still a summer tyre but are excellent in wet conditions. Not sure how they are in subzero wet conditions though

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all honesty unless you are doing rally driving, any decent normal tyre should be fine if you are driving according to weather conditions. The manufacturers want us to swap them more for business reasons.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed
    iv never ever considered changing to winter tyres
    Just drive to the conditions

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run Dunlop sp winter sports 4d's. They are very grippy on greasy and wet roads and if we do get snow they make a massive difference.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pirelli sottozeros were epic on the cars I've driven with them, proper snow, un gritted road and able to still put 500bhp down through the rears and still live
    regular tyres go rock hard below 5 deg, so that's more the urge to get winters on than for snow.

that said, I don't bother with my own cars as the only in gritted bit of road is our estate and I tend to grit that myself as I'm a nice person (well ok, selfish but it happens to benefit others).

id just opt for a good quality wet tyre and then skive work if it goes white

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im very much an advocate for winter tyres after experiencing them myself.

I have 2 sets of alloys so I dont have to pay to swap tyres each time - one with summers and one with winters. Usually fit them end October and take them off end of March depending on temperatures.

Make a huge difference for braking and cornering in the colder conditions and obviously on snow too. In the past Ive simply driven past stuck summer tyred 4wds on not particularly steep hills in various 2wd cars like Octavia VRS, Fabia VRS, Fiesta ST. In fact, my current Ford Ranger has only ever come out of 2wd on the road in the snow/ice maybe 2-3 times in the 5 years Ive had it as its not needed to with the winter tyres.

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here I have two sets of alloys and from my experience I wouldn't own a car without having them.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well part of the reason I ask is because one of the alloys I bought has a 'champiro winterpro GT radial' tyre on it already so kinda made me think about buying another one but asking on peoples personal experiences first.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run four winter tyres. If you just have front ones and you have to brake hard then the rear might oversteer.