Thread: Z18xe/x18xe1 technical.....

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Z18xe/x18xe1 technical.....

I have done a fair anount of research on the engines. A lot of the info is spread amongst other threads and topics, kind of hard to find.

As the engine is becoming more popular for conversions, and also tuning in thier original cars, can we have a thread that concentates on it specifically?

My prospective build is as follows:

z18xe/x18xe1 engine.

Head:
    ported, work on runners, short side radius and combustion chambers.
    piper 285 cams purchased (from x14/16xe)
    spring kit....i bought a set for the 14/16xe but spring caps are to suit 6mm valves/collets. I am looking in to corsa vxr spring kits to suit 5mm valves....any more info?
    sticking with hydraulic lifters.

Intake:
    big bang r1 throttle bodies and airbox, utilising variable length intake set up and R1 air filter, to be fed from bonnet vent.
    Custom inlet manifold to suit.
    toyota 2zz injectors (to suit r1 bodies and fuel rail)

management:
    Emerald k3 system, wired to run servo for variable intake tract length based on target rpm, + wideband lambda sensor for initial base mapping before dyno work.

exhaust:
    Tony law full system from 16xe nova, 14/16xe manifold, ports line up using top manifold bolt holes, lowers need to be elongated to fit studs on head.

internals:
    stock crank
    z18xer pistons and rods, pistons use valve cut outs and a domed top for more compression. This set up i have seen mentioned, but no hard cold facts about. Apparently it results in 11.7:1 compression +/-.
    arp rod bolts (m9 type)

target red line would be 7.5k rpm, hence only using quite mild cams. The bottom end once balanced should cope here quite well.

lightweight flywheel and h/d clutch, mated to a Quaife f13 sccr gearkit/box with a 3.9:1 final drive.

If anyone else has any useful information. Hints, tips, experience or otherwise, please share.

I Believe people are a bit scared to use/try this engine because of the lack of information. It'd be nice to open it up.

basic limitations seem to be with Cams, ie, clearance with pistons, i am hoping the xer Pistons will be an easy way of removing this limitation. For those wanting to not go too high with compression it would be far easier to remove the dome than make the cut outs i am sure.

as above, lets try and hear everything we can about these motors.

Thanks, Ollie.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you remove the dome from the pistons you will have problems. I removed 1mm from the piston top, around the dome, and 0,5mm from the dome. Now the weakest pont is 3,75mm the piston top, it is not so much, but it works with 11,7 CR. If you remove the complete dome, that will be sooner or later bad.
    For lightweight flywheel you can use the flat type from c16se.
    7500 rpm with ARP rod bolts works fine. I have no experience with higher revs.
    I used 4,18 and 4,29 final drive. In the winter i will change for 4,53.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your engine is a bit of a hybrid if i remember correctly Tomi? Is that why you removed material?

Can you confirm the z18xer pistons/rods will work in place of the z18xe pistons rods? Or are they different heights?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you are correct, but i had also z18xe engine, this was standard, i had only 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.
    The height between piston top and gudeon pin center is different. 24-26,1mm

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did some measuring tonight.

z18xe/x18xe1 crown (from squish area) to pin centre 24.1mm
    z18xer 25.4mm

so 1.3mm difference.

i backed this up by comparing pistons side by side, ring grooves and pin centres match but crown measured 1.3mm taller too.

I am thinking xer pistons/rods with a 1.3mm decompression type plate. The decomp plate would be cheaper than piston mods for valve clearance and you still gain compression.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cometic multy layer gasket? Up to 0.098" 136$, but you can use it more times.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting a price on a decompression type plate for comparison also.

i'd like to build a few engine in different states of tune, maybe on carbs also, see what works or not and what gains can be made. I dont have the ££ for that though.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the reason why i use c20ne ecu and loom. It is 10 times cheaper than standalone ecu, and many tuners can write it.
    For 16v you can use the c20xe M2.8 management, there is also many options, to map it.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats interesting, i didnt know that.

i have gone for the emerald because it was too cheap to turn down and offers extra functions that will be handy to me.

A decompression plate will be about £105 delivered in 1.2mm -1.4mm.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is heavy price for a laser cutted piece of plate.