Thread: Nova 16v rally car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Nova 16v rally car

Hi, new member who's just got hold of a prepared 1600cc 16v nova but want to do some more work to the engine. welcome ideas and advice and reliable names to go to.
    Will try and put some photos up asap.

john

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run the same engine in an Astra Mk2...

My thread is at http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthr...ing-adventures and has various bits from the 1600cc engine build and fitment..

Paul..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Paul,
    Know your car well as I've scrutineered it a few times on Dukeries events.
    Engine in mine is, I believe, a Z16XE running 45's with manifolds ect. The rest of the engine is fairly standard so need to strip and improve, know it will cost but cant find much tuning info on this one, most use redtops.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a 'bolt in solution' someone like Bill Falconer would be a good bet to go to.

If you want to do it yourself however, basic stuff like cylinder head porting, compression hike (head skim) quench clearance correction (block skim) and some mild cams should see a usable engine.

You cant go too mad on camshafts without pocketing the pistons, and, it is always 'moving' power, what you gain up top you'll lose down low.

A set of mild cams will run on standard valve springs too, so that is a cost saving, they'll also not want to rev too high. Keeping other components within their safe limits. ARP rod bolts would be a minimum though.

BHP costs money like you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with you, but have now talked to my proposed engine builder and have agreed the way to go.
    Block to have overbore, either 0.5 or 1mm, to remove any wear, crank ground as required, lightened and balanced, Woosner or Arrow pistons with 11.5 cr, Arrow rods with ARP bolts, Head decked and CNC ported and flowed, new valves , springs ect, manifolds ported and matched, venier pully ect, ect. Should be good for 170 - 180 bhp at 8300rpm with drivability and reliability, so he says . As to the cost, well your last comment says it all.
    Wish I could get some photos up but keeps refusing them.
    Let you know the progress.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then hi!

If the block is standard 1600 bore then a 0.5 or 1mm overbore will take it up a class as over 1600cc. Your better off starting with a 1400 block and having that bored to the appropriate size (79mm I think?)

Mine runs Omega pistons, steel rods, piper BP300 cams, solid lifters, vernier, very lightly done head with standard valves, Jenvey Taper ITBs and a Tony Law Manifold and system and makes between 180 and 190 depending on mapping.

Feel free to fire any questions my way via facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TeamRallyMarshal/

Paul..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,
    Good point, well made.
    Overbore was only contemplated if wear was noticeable so will have to wait till engine stripped and measured. Don't really want to buy another engine as I already have two 1600's, one already in the car and another for the rebuild.

John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jrdsport View Post
    Agree with you, but have now talked to my proposed engine builder and have agreed the way to go.
    Block to have overbore, either 0.5 or 1mm, to remove any wear, crank ground as required, lightened and balanced, Woosner or Arrow pistons with 11.5 cr, Arrow rods with ARP bolts, Head decked and CNC ported and flowed, new valves , springs ect, manifolds ported and matched, venier pully ect, ect. Should be good for 170 - 180 bhp at 8300rpm with drivability and reliability, so he says . As to the cost, well your last comment says it all.
    Wish I could get some photos up but keeps refusing them.
    Let you know the progress.
    You dont need steel rods if you are running a standard crank. The crank is the weak link not the rods. You should ring Bill Falconer and have a chat, his engines are reasonably priced (he had engines for sale on the internet bare engine without inlet and exhaust are around £2500 a couple of years ago). His clubman engines are very driveable, I have a 1400cc version with around 160bhp and are mixing it at the front overall, the 1600cc is around 180bhp standard bore!. Take a look at my youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4-rzQcaHlY.

Regards
    Christopher Newton

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is one sweet setup on the nova; 4 wheel drifting etc.