Thread: Astra MK4 oil?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Z16se
    x16szr or summat.the latter is the slower one.
    z16se isn't too bad but it's pathetic soft cut limiter is less than crowd pleasing.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, I thought the 8V was a really low volume run since they had the better 1.6 16V engine available etc

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine must be the x16szr as its slow but I haven't found the limiter yet and last time I tried I got to just under 6K

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the thermostat is the same idea as the 1.2 spi Novas where the cambelt and back plate, pulley etc have to come off to change the thermostat (great piece of design).

I firstly put card in front of the radiator as a temporary measure. temporary measure two was to remove the outer cover and I removed the belt, cut enough of the back plate off to get at the thermostat pikey solution.

Actual long term solution......next cambelt change in decent weather, I removed the belt and pulley, then backplate and cut the same hole that the earlier Novas had in them to access the thermostat on a replacement backplate.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marc69 View Post
    If the thermostat is the same idea as the 1.2 spi Novas where the cambelt and back plate, pulley etc have to come off to change the thermostat (great piece of design).

I firstly put card in front of the radiator as a temporary measure. temporary measure two was to remove the outer cover and I removed the belt, cut enough of the back plate off to get at the thermostat pikey solution.

Actual long term solution......next cambelt change in decent weather, I removed the belt and pulley, then backplate and cut the same hole that the earlier Novas had in them to access the thermostat on a replacement backplate.
    Ahh its also behind the backplate? Well thats a bugger! I'd never physically looked or searched online about its location, I also didn't think the fan came in and kept turning the hot air on when it got close to 90 degrees sat in traffic but it turns out the fan comes in higher than I'm used to

I read up about the card idea, I'll keep that in mind, whats the worst case scenario with the thermostat not working?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if your astra is the same as the spi Novas but probably is a similar set up. If the thermostat isn'tclosing, the car will stay cold all the time, use too much fuel etc, if it is overheating (not opening) then that can cause engine damage obviously. For the card, just wedge it in front of the radiator so the air doen't get to it. (obviously clear of any wire/electricals!)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm averaging 38 mpg which is the book figure, ffs might have to look at getting the thermostat replaced in the new year. Cheers Marc