Thread: Building a c20let

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Building a c20let

I'm doing this over the winter what parts makes & specs if anyone has first hand experience of building them.

I have got an early xe block & crank which I will do the block mod as let blocks are commanding stupid money & its
    sitting here so I might as well use it !! & a coscast head standard complete with cams

I will be looking for forged parts if anyone has any had a look on the begay site seems to be a lot of cheap forged chocolate parts

cheers Kev

Cometic multi layer head gasket 121.78 burton

Apr head stud conversion + bottom end bolts
    AutoVaux for decent Elring gaskets
    Baffled sump
    ZLet oil pump & modified pick up
    pistons
    rods
    Last edited by kevy.m; 18-11-16 at 09:40 AM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arp head stud conversion .
    Cometic multi layer head gasket
    For big power

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by total_vauxhall View Post
    Arp head stud conversion .
    Cometic multi layer head gasket
    For big power
    Thank you buddy il just make a note & price everything up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not built a LET before but....

AutoVaux for decent Elring gaskets.
    Probably worth considering a ZLET oil pump and modified pickup.
    Depending on it's use a baffled alloy sump.

Does the head need different valves for a turbo application, I once heard they were different? (Not a rhetorical question, I don't actually know).

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Not built a LET before but....

AutoVaux for decent Elring gaskets.
    Probably worth considering a ZLET oil pump and modified pickup.
    Depending on it's use a baffled alloy sump.

Does the head need different valves for a turbo application, I once heard they were different? (Not a rhetorical question, I don't actually know).
    Hi Ian I always thought the valves were the same ??? but I don't know either.
    I'm sure you can fit 1.1mm oversize valves on the xe head but 2mm is the max & the seats need redone
    but I'm not 100% on the difference's on the heads & cams so maybe someone else will come along with more info??
    I have heard about fitting a xe cam to the let head cant remember if it was the inlet or exhaust I'm assuming its the exhaust??

Regarding the ZLET oil pump how is the pick up modified & does the let engine come with a baffled sump or does this come
    from another engine??

Thanks Buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to do with being sodium filled not the size of them.

Yes you'll need at least one LET camshaft, can't remember which one either.

You'll have the standard windage tray (with bonded gasket if you get the Ecotec one from AutoVaux) but additional baffling can be welded into the sump if you're planning to use it hard on track.

ZLET pump bolts on but has an oval pipe so you can buy aftermarket pickup pipes that are ZLET at the pump end and sit in the right place for an XE.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Something to do with being sodium filled not the size of them.

Yes you'll need at least one LET camshaft, can't remember which one either.

You'll have the standard windage tray (with bonded gasket if you get the Ecotec one from AutoVaux) but additional baffling can be welded into the sump if you're planning to use it hard on track.

ZLET pump bolts on but has an oval pipe so you can buy aftermarket pickup pipes that are ZLET at the pump end and sit in the right place for an XE.

Ahhh sodium valves ive seen that mentioned somewhere I will have a search on that, I have sodium valves in my rs turbo aswell !!!!

Thanks for the info on the sump & pump !!!

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vales are different, but nothing that affects the running of the engine. XE cams are obviously different, but they are used on higher-power lets anyway!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can supply all the parts to build either a short motor or complete bare engine.
    Specification will depend on budget and what power you want.
    XE block/engine can be converted, but if you are not going to use an after market ecu and loom it will be cheaper to purchase a complete standard engine package for about £1000-£1200 depending on condition.
    I would recommend a bored oil jetted skimmed block with standard size crank with the following new parts, arp flywheel bolts TTV flywheel, arp main cap studs, zlet/leh oil pump, modified oil pick up pipe, full gasket set with bonded rubber seal baffle plate (as mentioned), bearings, water pump, belt kit, arp head studs, forged pistons, steel rods with genuine arp bolts, cometic head gasket (thickness will depend on cylinder head thickness), vernier pulleys, uprated single valve springs, new ina followers, with a rebuilt skimmed cylinder head (ideally coscast) with an XE inlet cam and original GM valves (exhaust were sodium filled, replacements even genuine are not) or if you have the budget Nimonic exhaust valves, stainless inlet valves.
    I have everything available except a coscast cylinder head.
    I supply and use only genuine or OE specification parts where modified parts are not used, do not use 'mick mouse' gaskets sets, bearings, oil pumps (or secondhand) or followers, if you do I guarantee your engine will fail.
    I have Piper springs, Vernier pulleys and cams, pistons made by Omega, various brands of steel rods including Arrow, arp fastners, TTV flywheels, Cometic gaskets, Elring & Rienze gaskets, genuine oil pumps, modified oil pick up pipes etc
    I can sort all the machining, supply a block crank, and most other parts to build a complete engine, can build if required.
    I have a secondhand engine package available with several new parts.
    Can also supply new Quaife or Gripper diffs.
    message me if interested.

Steve

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyslim View Post
    I can supply all the parts to build either a short motor or complete bare engine.
    Specification will depend on budget and what power you want.
    XE block/engine can be converted, but if you are not going to use an after market ecu and loom it will be cheaper to purchase a complete standard engine package for about £1000-£1200 depending on condition.
    I would recommend a bored oil jetted skimmed block with standard size crank with the following new parts, arp flywheel bolts TTV flywheel, arp main cap studs, zlet/leh oil pump, modified oil pick up pipe, full gasket set with bonded rubber seal baffle plate (as mentioned), bearings, water pump, belt kit, arp head studs, forged pistons, steel rods with genuine arp bolts, cometic head gasket (thickness will depend on cylinder head thickness), vernier pulleys, uprated single valve springs, new ina followers, with a rebuilt skimmed cylinder head (ideally coscast) with an XE inlet cam and original GM valves (exhaust were sodium filled, replacements even genuine are not) or if you have the budget Nimonic exhaust valves, stainless inlet valves.
    I have everything available except a coscast cylinder head.
    I supply and use only genuine or OE specification parts where modified parts are not used, do not use 'mick mouse' gaskets sets, bearings, oil pumps (or secondhand) or followers, if you do I guarantee your engine will fail.
    I have Piper springs, Vernier pulleys and cams, pistons made by Omega, various brands of steel rods including Arrow, arp fastners, TTV flywheels, Cometic gaskets, Elring & Rienze gaskets, genuine oil pumps, modified oil pick up pipes etc
    I can sort all the machining, supply a block crank, and most other parts to build a complete engine, can build if required.
    I have a secondhand engine package available with several new parts.
    Can also supply new Quaife or Gripper diffs.
    message me if interested.

Steve
    Hi Steve

I have a block crank & coscast head + new forged pistons I will be building the engine myself & I have a local engineering shop to do my machine work.

I want to do the bottom end first so I will pm you for prices for that cheers Buddy.