CAN, no bus
    The harness is "easy" but time consuming to get right/tidy etc

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a lot simpler if the Dash will read direct from the ECU from a simple comms port.

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    CAN, no bus
    The harness is "easy" but time consuming to get right/tidy etc
    I know I know, CAN stands for Controller Area Network. The bus is what you use after a night on the piss.
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why you saying no BUS?
    A bus (including the kind you get on after a night on the piss) is simply something that carries something from one place to another.
    The network is using a BUS to carry information, a twisted pair of wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe it's a not so clever play on words.

Grow up Stuart.
    ^^^ did you just read that? what a idiot ^^^

PROJECT 2 FAST 2 FAT clicky

''lifes what happens, while your busy making plans''

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by c20tbo View Post
    Its a lot simpler if the Dash will read direct from the ECU from a simple comms port.
    The Ecu, dash, expander and CDI unit can all talk to each other over Canbus, it's fairly simple.
    I'm hoping by the time I come to need it the AMS boost controller will have the ability to talk to the MoTec also.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always get this
    Does control area network bus, sound right to you? Plus it was alway and is always (in the automotive engineering world) just plain old CAN, the bus bit was nailed on the end by marketing types. Yes individual networks are referred to as busses and the term bus on and bus off is used but he name is just plain old simple CAN.

anyhoo, if you need any help with setting stuff up in the bytes/dlc/ Id realm, give me a shout as its what I used to do with the exotic cars etc I worked with (automotive electronics and systems engineer, now working on crappy rail projects)

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always get this
    Does control area network bus, sound right to you? Plus it was alway and is always (in the automotive engineering world) just plain old CAN, the bus bit was nailed on the end by marketing types. Yes individual networks are referred to as busses and the term bus on and bus off is used but he name is just plain old simple CAN.

anyhoo, if you need any help with setting stuff up in the bytes/dlc/ Id realm, give me a shout as its what I used to do with the exotic cars etc I worked with (automotive electronics and systems engineer, now working on crappy rail projects)
    Well it's definitely something I'd like to learn more about, if you know of any good online sources? one thing I'd very much like is to be able to get the AMS boost controller to read the CAN between the MoTec devices and pull the data from there, NLR who make the AMS say the capability is there to use CAN but it's not been fully implemented yet.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll see whats about, but when I've looked in the past online resources for CAN have been pretty vague/poor There is a little on megasquirt forums etc but they tend to aim at a protocol called CANOpen (or OpenCAN, cant remeber which way round it was) which aimed to simplyfy an already very simple system, and ofcourse made a lashup of it

Sounds like NLR have put the hardware in place to use CAN but not written the code. Are they UK based? and would they want some "help" to get it working on their system?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll see whats about, but when I've looked in the past online resources for CAN have been pretty vague/poor There is a little on megasquirt forums etc but they tend to aim at a protocol called CANOpen (or OpenCAN, cant remeber which way round it was) which aimed to simplyfy an already very simple system, and ofcourse made a lashup of it

Sounds like NLR have put the hardware in place to use CAN but not written the code. Are they UK based? and would they want some "help" to get it working on their system?
    I found very little online myself, even looked for online courses I could do.
    NLR are American based, he's a very clever guy from what I've seen but I think the code writing he has someone else who does it, I could certainly ask him but when I last asked when CAN would be available he said there about to roll out V4 software update then CAN is one of the next things to look into.
    Would be great if the AMS could view all the sensor information from the ECU over 2 wires instead of extra wires for every sensor.