Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wide arch, wide track, z18xe on bodies...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

La de da someone knows what they're doing don't they! Looks great

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalnova View Post
    All looks very good. The main problem with the z18xe/x18xe1 as you know is piston availability, as it's not an engine that is used in motorsport it's not really catered for. I'm hoping as it gets a little more popular that somebody will develop some high comp pistons, but I won't hold my breath.
    Nick
    The k/series ones are close, very close, and they do them (Wossner) in 80.5mm bore. Pin to crown height is slightly lower so block would need to be decked. My quirie is with the valve cut outs, the angle and size. I have requested the technical specs/drawings from wossner but im not sure they'll come up with anything.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    La de da someone knows what they're doing don't they! Looks great

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Not really! This is all new to me, I have ported a few heads before, but before this engine i'd never messed with car engines.

I just think f*ck it, i'll have a go at that. If i had access to a tig welder i'd have a go at welding the manifold too, but i havent.

I just research, tinker, and try things. Lady luck is half of it.

I never knew i could use the XER valves in the XE head, so i just tried it, that meant the XER solid lifters would fit, etc etc. Just got to try stuff.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done even more on the head, all the exhaust ports are now shaped and finished and i am happy with them.

The intake ports are 95% of the way there. I just have some fine work to blend the port into the valve seats, and give them a once over for a uniform finish.

As far as the chambers go, I sought some advice and have been advised to leave them alone. I was going to smooth and polish the chambers and try and un-shroud the valves at the points closest to the cylinder walls. This would be futile however as there is no material to move without under cutting and i need to keep as much material as possible to keep the compression up.

If i went to an 82mm bore with high compression pistons then there would be room for improvement, but for now it will be left.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made some more progress, I have pictures but photo bucket is being a tw*t at the moment. Think its been hacked or something!

I have got my custom inlet manifold all together. I decided to do it my way, rather than having it tig welded, i decided to have a go at aluminium brazing it myself. Is hard work, but satisfying at the same time, it means i could align everything how i want it rather than relying on someone elses interpretations.

Its come out pretty good, i have some cleaning up to do and a bit of work with the die grinder to match everything up but over all i am pleased.

In total the manifold has cost me about £50 and i have the satisfaction of calling it (almost) all my own work.

Thats the thing with this whole car, if i can do it myself, i will do it myself. It probably means for a longer project, but ultimately its as much about building it, as it is the final product.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As promised, some pics of the inlet manifold i have made. Came out pretty good. Did some distruction testing which i disnt picture on the aluminium brazing. It really is strong stuff.

As you can see i have got some jubilee clips and the silicone hose joiners on. They have made a really nice secure fitting with no movement. I would have prefered different clips (mikalore) but they are too wide.

I will make a custom PTFE gasket to go between the manifold and the head. This will act as a thermal barrier.

Also been making more progress with the head. I now have some lash caps and also washers/spacers for the valve springs to get the installed heights correct.

I got a billy bargain from Greece also, a set of genuine ARP rod bolts for £36, so happy with that.

I have been looking in to supertech valves, but at £450 a set its a big amount of money. Money that can be better spent elsewhere yet.

If i do a 2nd incarnation of the engine at a later date (need to do the first one yet) It will be aftermarket rods, forged high comp pistons, supertech valves and 9000 RPM. That'll be £1500 in basic parts alone.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the super tech valves a 5 mm stem ,if so have you got a link for them ,I did look into having some made but costs proved prohibitive , you are doing a great job btw

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toymex View Post
    Are the super tech valves a 5 mm stem ,if so have you got a link for them ,I did look into having some made but costs proved prohibitive , you are doing a great job btw
    https://www.supertechperformance.com...31466&em=19179

yes 5mm stem, they are z16ler/let (_Corsa vxr) or z18xer fitment. Head to collect groove distance is different to regular z18xe valves, and they are 13 ish mm longer for use with solid buckets (as stock).

I am having to shim/space by valve springs around 4mm, and using lash caps around 2.8mm thick to get the desired 0.30mm clearance. The base circle on my cams is only 34mm though (the previous cams were 37mm base circle, made lash caps super difficult to get hold of).

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are also Ferrea valves offered by drakos engineering (drakosengineering) on facebook. They are cheaper for sure but 3 groove collets i believe, the supertech are single groove.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mxcrazy View Post
    There are also Ferrea valves offered by drakos engineering (drakosengineering) on facebook. They are cheaper for sure but 3 groove collets i believe, the supertech are single groove.

I would not not want to use that thin a stem with 3 groove collets, I spoke to Paul Ivey about having some made but I needed to get about 10 sets to get the costs down ,I even had them draw them up but just couldn't justify the cost